Suggested TV's to support USB mp4 files

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
drepouille

Re: Suggested TV's to support USB mp4 files

Post by drepouille »

We had one bishop buy a TV on 31 Dec 2012 because he thought he was going to lose his remaining budget. Another bishop ended the year with a negative balance. Even his January budget distribution didn't get his budget back into the black. It's funny how things work.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

The Blu-ray players we got were Sony model BDP-S185. They output HD video through HDMI and can be used with Standard Definition monitors that use the familiar, old "Red, White and Yellow" audio and video cables. They do not have RBG/Component output. But in our situation we only needed to use HDMI. We found these players at a local Sam's Club for $79 each.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It was asked why bother getting something with the "TV" part. If you aren't running in-building video (from a satellite receiver for example) you indeed do not need the "TV part". But in our building for example we use the TVs to show stake conference in overflow rooms so we do indeed need "a" tuner - having the tuner built into the TV is just one less thing to deal with.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:It was asked why bother getting something with the "TV" part.
I'm not sure what the alternative is. There are computer monitors, but I don't think they have much connectivity beyond connecting to a VGA or other computer output. No composite or component inputs. I think most units need something that's more like a TV then a monitor.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Agreed. You'll find that a TV which can handle a VGA input is much more versatile (and more of them are on the market) than a computer monitor that can handle a video input. In today's world you will need that versaility. You never know what you'll want to connect to the TV next year. Having the options of HDMI, component, and composite inputs will be handy. Plus, a TV will have better speakers than a computer monitor (if the computer monitor even has speakers). Face it, something designed to be a TV will be much more suited to be used by a group of viewers and a computer monitor is optimized for just one user at a time. A TV is made to be self-contained and a computer monitor is made to be just one component in a system. And if you want to get a monitor larger than 26 inches then I suspect the TV will have the best price too.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Anyone know the status of the LG 32LY340C that's currently in the FM catalog? The specifications indicates it can do Divx HD, but that doesn't tell me if it can play the MP4s downloaded from lds.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mrrad wrote:I created a "tutorial video" for anyone in our wards to review so that they can have a good experience using the stuff.
http://youtu.be/IX6FiFkkqZw
What you use in your building will be different equipment but this may give you an idea of how to train people on using the stuff correctly.
This is a great tutorial! I especially like the velcro for the remotes. I notice on the Blu-ray player menu there's an option for "Internet Video" – what does that feature include, and are you able to take advantage of it?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

That Blu-ray player doesn't have Wi-Fi so there's no practical way to use that feature in our church building. So I just don't know what the Internet Video feature is really capable of doing.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”