Installing Family Search Indexing on Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
Imovable101

Installing Family Search Indexing on Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)

Post by Imovable101 »

So was looking around on these forums in hope of finding something that would allow me to install indexing software on a linux machine (whether it be 32 or 64bit). Within minutes I was glad to find something that made my day! I just figured I'd put it out there a little more if it wasn't known. I wish I understood more fully the code that's used to make it work, but for now I'll quote the individual who figured it out and got it to work just fine for me without using Wine. Well, at least I think it doesn't use Wine. The way the GUI looks reminds me of things running in wine. But if anything, it works with a two simple lines of code once you have the file. Here's what I followed:
Save this as a script, make it executable, run it, and it should download, apply a patch, and install on 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04.

http://hostcode.sourceforge.net/view/2140.txt

qui10001
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=19508#

Thanks to that individual I got it working. The URL above leads to the discussion where he shares this insight.

Once you click on the link, you will need to copy and paste the text or save the text as a .sh file. For example, I named mine "family.sh". I saved it in my Documents folder. The following commands got it up and running for me without a hitch on a 64bit Ubuntu 14.04 VM:

1) cd /home/<inser your pc name or username>/Documents
2) bash family.sh

Below is an alternate route the does the same (from what I understand):

1) cd /home/<inser your pc name or username>/Documents
2) chmod +x family.sh
3) ./family.sh

I hope this helps someone out there! This is just what I found that works and figured I'd share with everyone. Have a great day! ;)
qui10001

Re: Installing Family Search Indexing on Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit

Post by qui10001 »

You can download a zip here so you won't need to create the file or change any permissions:

Just extract it and run the install script in the FamilySearch folder, never mind the other folder it's part of another project.

https://github.com/zvakanaka/easy-peasy

P.S. It doesn't use Wine. All the script does is link up the 32 bit libraries to the original script.
dfrandin

Post by dfrandin »

Am trying to install FSI on Debian/Testing (Jessie) 64bit.. Tried the listed script... Apparently, even though Ubuntu is based on Debian/testing, there is *something* different... Looks like some missing/misnamed libraries..I get the following when running the listed script...

Code: Select all

dave@sluggo:~/Desktop$ bash install-fsi.sh
DOWNLOADING ORIGINAL INSTALLER
--2014-09-05 09:50:15--  https://indexing.familysearch.org/downloads/Indexing_unix.sh
Resolving indexing.familysearch.org (indexing.familysearch.org)... 204.9.224.37
Connecting to indexing.familysearch.org (indexing.familysearch.org)|204.9.224.37|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 27647201 (26M) [text/x-sh]
Saving to: ‘Indexing_unix.sh’

100%[====================================================================================================================================================================>] 27,647,201  6.63MB/s   in 4.7s   

2014-09-05 09:50:20 (5.56 MB/s) - ‘Indexing_unix.sh’ saved [27647201/27647201]

DONE
APPLYING PATCH
patching file Indexing_unix.sh
DONE
[sudo] password for dave:            
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package lib32bz2-1.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'lib32bz2-1.0' has no installation candidate
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package openjdk-6-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  icedtea-netx:i386 icedtea-netx-common icedtea-netx

E: Package 'openjdk-6-jre' has no installation candidate
UPDATING PATHS TO JAVA 6
update-alternatives: error: alternative path /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java doesn't exist
update-alternatives: error: alternative path /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/javac doesn't exist
NOTICE: ICED TEA WILL THROW ERRORS.  JUST CLICK OKAY.
It will be alright in the end
Unpacking JRE ...
Preparing JRE ...
./Indexing_unix.sh: 217: ./Indexing_unix.sh: bin/unpack200: not found
Error unpacking jar files. The architecture or bitness (32/64)
of the bundled JVM might not match your machine.

I've switched quite a few ward members over to Linux/32bit and many of them are indexers and have had zero issues.. Now I'm getting some to be migrated to Linux who, like me, hate Ubuntu/Unity and since they have machines with over 4GB of ram, I'm working on migrating them to the Debian 64bit/ KDE Spin.. I may reconsider if getting FSI going on Debian is going to be problematic...

Dave Frandin
Imovable101

Post by Imovable101 »

qui10001 wrote:You can download a zip here so you won't need to create the file or change any permissions:

Just extract it and run the install script in the FamilySearch folder, never mind the other folder it's part of another project.

P.S. It doesn't use Wine. All the script does is link up the 32 bit libraries to the original script.
I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't use Wine. I personally love it when I can get things to work without having to go through Wine. I'll try this and see how it goes! Thanks again. I'm hoping to get a few people to switch over to linux and their indexers as well. Figured I'd work with this in any way that I can.
Imovable101

Post by Imovable101 »

Thanks again for this! I've been looking around at different distros and thought I would try some. I was happy to find out that this script still works on Linux Mint 17. I'm not sure why this doesn't work on Debian, I personally haven't tried it. My guess is you've had to direct the script to the right URL's for Debian based. At that point I wonder if you could do it by just simply manual installing each piece (I'd personally follow the script on this one).
ribeiromvb

Post by ribeiromvb »

qui10001 wrote:You can download a zip here so you won't need to create the file or change any permissions:

I tried using this ideia and it is working perfectly fine on Ubuntu 64-bits.
Thank you all for your contributions. I`m enjoying it a lot.

Kind regards from Brazil!
Moroni Ribeiro
b.matthew

Post by b.matthew »

I am using 64-bit Linux Mint 17 and I ran the script and it installed just fine.
jdfoote
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Installing Family Search Indexing on Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)

Post by jdfoote »

This did not work for me on Ubuntu 15.04. Are there possibly some dependencies?
wilyhawk

Post by wilyhawk »

After hours of trying to install different Java's and extra libraries for 32bit and trying to get XServer to work, and still failing, I found this thread and the first method of getting the code from http://hostcode.sourceforge.net/view/2140.txt worked perfectly!

Thank you! :D

(my system was 64bit Ubuntu 14.04 with XFCE and Java 7 and Java 8 from oracle. apparently java6 is part of the answer)
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 AMD 64 bit.
Reinstalled Indexing showing several GTK Warning during installation. The program work fine!

mariano@mariano-Aspire-5551:~/Scaricati$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_80"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_80-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.80-b11, mixed mode)

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”