Relief Society Facebook page

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
EmilyRathke

Relief Society Facebook page

Post by EmilyRathke »

Hi! I'm a new RS president. I'm trying to understand the rules about having a ward RS facebook page. Right now our private group is named "Sheboygan Ward Relief Society." And from what I read on the guidelines, that name needs to be changed because it is a unit name. Right? IF this is true, how does someone change it? And can the name be changed without altering its membership or posts? Or do we have to create a new group? Thanks for the help!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Relief Society Facebook page

Post by aebrown »

EmilyRathke wrote:Right now our private group is named "Sheboygan Ward Relief Society." And from what I read on the guidelines, that name needs to be changed because it is a unit name. Right?
No, that name doesn't have to be changed because it is NOT a unit name. It CONTAINS a unit name, but is not actually the name. If you review the instructions at internet.lds.org, point #8 says that social media items "should not simply be the name of a Church unit or individual." It then says that "First Ward News” is acceptable, but “First Ward” is not. So "Sheboygan Ward" would not be acceptable, but I don't see any problem with "Sheboygan Ward Relief Society."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EmilyRathke wrote:Right now our private group is named "Sheboygan Ward Relief Society." And from what I read on the guidelines, that name needs to be changed because it is a unit name. Right?
It strikes me as somewhat of a gray area. The guidelines found at internet.lds.org says says "should not simply be the name of a Church unit" and goes on to say that adding "news" or "Friends of" to the unit name makes it acceptable. None of the following examples indicate if adding an auxlery to the ward name makes it acceptable.

But personally, I'd say that your page name goes against the spirit of what's indicated as it sounds "offical". It would be better if something like "news" or "Friends of" could be added to the name.

I'm not sure what it takes to change the name on orginzational Facebook page, but I did find this.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

In my ward, I don't mind if the Relief Society has a Facebook page. What I don't like, and complain about to my wife, is when they use Facebook to replace all the tools available to them on lds.org, such as the calendar, lesson schedules, and newsletter.

I was grumpy last week when the bishop asked for volunteers to man the nursery for a Relief Society meeting on Thursday night. I grumbled within myself that I wouldn't volunteer to help with an event that was not posted on the calendar at lds.org. But that's just me, a grumpy old guy.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

drepouille wrote:What I don't like, and complain about to my wife, is when they use Facebook to replace all the tools available to them on lds.org, such as the calendar, lesson schedules, and newsletter.
These are some of the restrictions or limitations placed on the use of social media discussed at Use of Online Resources in Church Callings.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

what drepouille says is VITAL - This page should not be used as the ONLY communication page. It can become very exclusive and cause some real hurt feelings.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

My ward still relies on printed bulletins and announcements over the pulpit. Which would be fine if they also put it on the calendar. <sigh>
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Likewise. They announced a youth baptism trip to the temple in priesthood opening exercises, but it wasn't in the bulletin or on the ward calendar. So I called the temple office to find out when my ward was scheduled to be there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And then there was two Sundays ago when the announcement for upcoming Women's Conference was made. Between the bulletin, pulpit and stake calendar, there was three different date/times. As the guy who has to show it, I complained about that. They got it together for this last Sunday.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

When you are in Hawaii, and you have Internet access, does it really matter what time anything starts?

Return to “General Media Discussions”