Cease and Desist? ldsscriptures.com

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
skerby

Cease and Desist? ldsscriptures.com

Post by skerby »

One of the very best scripture study applications that I have using (because of its ease of use and because it allows you to reference many sources that relate to the scripture that you are reading by just a simple click) was shut down recently by the Church's Intellectual Reserve. Does anybody know the particulars? Truly this is a loss. The church just doesn't (to my knowledge) have anything comparable. If there is something out there please let me know. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Cease and Desist? ldsscriptures.com

Post by russellhltn »

Since it was the app that was taken down and not the website, I suspect they didn't have the rights to distribute copyrighted works of the church.

The LDS Gospel Library is the only app I'm aware of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This may also be related to the recent lawsuit by Litchfield Associates about the use and distribution of the Alexander Scourby Bible recordings.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jayglad

Post by jayglad »

I found out about this last month. I was shocked and saddened. The ldsscripture.com app is/was a far superior app. I have a great deal of work put into my scripture study--annotations and markings. I hate to think of all that work that will one day be totally lost.

The Church's app (and I mean no disrespect) is clunky and anti-intuitive in every way. There is no comparison. I wish there were a way the Church would adopt the ldsscripture app.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The church doesn't normally buy out a software product created by others; but it has continued developing apps that have been donated to the church. For example, both Gospel Library for iOS and LDS Music for iOS were donated by members to the church, and that's how they started.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
laurey

Post by laurey »

I just discovered this same thing today as I was trying to put my ipad apps onto my new iphone. Aargh!@ I'm so disappointed. Too bad that Intellectual Reserve can't see how superior this app is and just buy it so we can all benefit.
Does anyone know how I can get my ipad app onto my new iphone?? I've tried going to the app store and clicking on "updates", then "purchased", but it doesn't even show up in the list. Is there a way to plug in my ipad to my computer to transfer all apps and then plug my phone into the computer to transfer?? Help!
bgroves

Post by bgroves »

The main functionality - beyond keeping notes and study references - I am most saddened by losing from not being able to use the ldsscriptures app is the ability to easily see where a scripture has been cited in a general conference talk or lesson manual.

Can the features offered in the LDS Scripture Citation Index be integrated into Gospel Library to provide a more seamless and user-friendly experience?
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

My understanding is that the ldsscriptures app and the LDS Scripture Citation Index are totally different apps, created by separate developers (ldsscriptures is done by Michael Jensen, Citation Index by Steve Liddle). The Scripture Citation Index is still available, likely because it doesn't merely repackage and enhance Intellectual Reserve's copyrighted works.
kathleentaylor

Post by kathleentaylor »

I really enjoyed the app the ldsscriptures.com provided because you could sync your phone,tablet and iMac altogether at once and it didn't take forever to download....I understand the reasoning that the brethren want to keep control of our printed material....maybe they could work out some sort of agreement to implement some of the key features that ldsscriptures.com app has ...
Jaymebryn

Post by Jaymebryn »

Wow!! Just found out I can't update this app!! I am CRUSHED!! I use it every day and have put a ton of work into tagging and book marking scriptures! Is there anything we can do to get it working again??!!! Such a huge bummer - I have seen nothing that is even remotely comparable!

Return to “General Discussions”