We Need Help Testing the Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

SingerGuy59 wrote:I see Deutsch, English, Español, Français, Magyar, Italiano, Nederlands and Português, but I do not see Tongan (even when viewing the source HTML).

I don't speak Tongan, but I did the typesetting for the Liahona and the Hymnal in Tongan and am very familiar with looking at it and recognizing structural problems.
When I originally made the post, we had Tongan in the build. This was a mistake. I guess the secret is out...Tongan will come soon but will be in the next release cycle!

Tom
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:In Church History Map 3 (http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/hu/chmaps/3), the Finger Lakes are labeled as "Finger Lakes", yet the word "Lake" is translated everywhere else (for example, "Lake Erie" is "Erie-tó").

In some of the maps (notably map 6) the same issue I reported with Bible maps appears, where ő is rendered as Œ. Also in map 6, "California Trail" is not translated, but perhaps that is appropriate -- in the map index (http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/hu/chindex/3), there is an entry for "California Trail" (all English).
Thanks Alan for pointing this out. This is a known problem with the translation of the map text.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:... it is still the case that I can only reproduce this on my home computer -- neither my work computer nor my laptop has the problem (both running IE7). I don't know what is different about my home computer. So the remainder of this post can be taken with a grain of salt at this point.

Specifically, with IE, when you change options and then Save Options, if you then go back into the Options page without exiting the browser, the options appear to be reset back to the way they were when you entered the Options page before making the change. And yet the options were indeed changed, as is clear from the appearance of the footnote indicator. However, if you exit the browser and come back in, the Options page will finally actually reflect the changed options.
I promised to do some research on the above issue. I still can't quite explain it, and it still happens on just that one computer; however, I do have some additional information.

When I change some options, save, then go back into the Options page, the options still appear to be the way they were before I made the change. But at that point I can do a browser Refresh, and then the new options do indeed appear.

I don't know why I never tried a Refresh before, but it certainly does shed some light on the nature of the problem. The issue is clearly related to the way IE caches pages. I can't find any settings in Internet Options that would affect this. Why it is trusting the cached version of the page in just this case is beyond me, but it's not as big a problem as I thought at first.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Hungarian Review Complete

Post by aebrown »

I have completed the test plan for the Hungarian version of the beta scriptures. As with my German review, I cut a few corners:
  • I reviewed everything in IE7, and then when I found problems, and suspected that they might be caused by IE-specific problems, I would see how it worked in Firefox.
  • In some cases I did some sampling. For example, on step 25 I checked out every standard work, and every book, and every bit of introductory material, but I didn't check every single chapter of every book to make sure it was written in Hungarian. Similarly, for the maps and photos, I viewed every photo and map, but for printing, I only checked out the first and last and several in between.

I passed TomW's initial post to someone I know who speaks Danish fluently, but he's pretty busy and hasn't gotten to it yet. I know you were hoping to wrap this up by tomorrow. If you still need help, I could tackle another language over the weekend, but I won't have much time before then.
sybrowsky-p40

Danish

Post by sybrowsky-p40 »

I'll work on the Danish version.

Layne Sybrowsky
peatrosssc-p40

Post by peatrosssc-p40 »

sybrowsky wrote:I'll work on the Danish version.

Layne Sybrowsky
Thanks for your help Layne. Let me know if you run into anything. Also if you can periodically post a message letting us know where your at with your testing that would be helpful as well.

Thanks again for your service.
Stewart Peatross
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

We still need help testing

Post by speatross-p40 »

Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we still in need help testing the scriptures. We have currently covered Hungarian, German and are working on Danish and Dutch. You do not need to know how to speak the language to test that language. We are only testing functionality and not translation. We do however want you to watch for a mix of languages. For example English text appearing in the Hungarian version of the scriptures.

Our main focus for this release is Danish, Dutch and Hungarian however we would also like to do a good spot check test on previously released languages due to the fact that sometimes adding new languages may have an affect on previously released languages. If you are spot check testing previously released Languages (anything other than Danish, Dutch and Hungarian) you can use the test plan as a guide to help you know what to do and look for.

If you want to work on a language be sure to post a message stating which language you are taking. We then would like you to periodically let us know how your doing. Post as often as you can letting us know the issues you are finding with each test in the test plan. If you do not find any issues and you have completed your test post a message letting us know that no issues where found and that you have completed the language and run through each test in the test plan.

If you could take a look at Alan Browns posts they are exactly what we are looking for. He states which languages he is working on and in each defect or issue that he finds he lists the test number in the title and in the message body places a link with a description of the problem. Having a link and a good description helps us quickly duplicate the same issue and pass it along to development.

Keep in mind that not every issue will be fixed before we release. You may report issues that will not be fixed with this release. Know that these issues are recorded and kept for consideration for future releases.

Also keep in mind that I may not be able to reply to every post. I have other responsibilities that I have to tend to. I will however read every post and try and duplicate every issue that you find as well as provide some feedback on the status of the issue.

Once we have covered each language then our testing is completed.

Thank you for your service and help with this!
Andrew.J.Auman

Basic Errors with Dutch Version

Post by Andrew.J.Auman »

A few errors with the Dutch version of the site:

1) In the main menu in the header of the pages (very top, right of screen) the nav text for "Help" is "Help". I don't speak Dutch, but according to Babel Fish "Help" in Dutch is "Hulp". Babel Fish could be wrong (again, I wouldn't know), but the word "help" is used across the whole site (e.g. see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/search?type=marked and the content of http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/help). Note: "hulp" in Dutch may be more properly rendered "aid", so this item may not be an issue. In performing a scripture search both "help" and "hulp" came up.

2) The copyright notice in the footer of the pages shows up as © instead of the copyright sign (which is interesting as © is the correct ASCII character code). The copyright notice is also in English "© 2006 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.". I'm using FF 2.0.0.14.

3) In the footer the links Informatie over rechten en gebruik and Privacybeleid both go to English versions of the pages ("Rights and use information" and "Privacy policy", respectively), as opposed to the Dutch versions of those pages.

Note: for the above items see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/.

4) When I perform a word search (any search that has matching results) the phrase "alle vormen van het woord ************ in de Tekst van de Schriften}, sorted by relevance." is displayed at the top of the screen, where ************ is the search string. The right curly bracket, }, and the following English text "sorted by relevance" is the concern. E.g., see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/searc ... &do=Zoeken.

5) When I perform a topic search (any search that has matching results) the phrase "Geselecteerde verwijzingen in de Schriften in verband met het onderwerp ************, sorted by relevance." is displayed at the top of the screen, where ************ is the search string. The English text "sorted by relevance" is the concern. E.g., see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/searc ... st=checked.

6) Is "matching" a Dutch word for the English word "matching" (an unlikely cognate being a gerund)? I ask as the text at the top of a "Study Helps Search" (when a search is performed) is "Titels in de studiemiddelen matching ************.", where ************ is the search string.

Also, another minor concern (could be a general problem): on the search page (whether in English or in Dutch) when one hovers over the links in the search menu (i.e. the links for Word Search, Topic Search, Study Helps Search, Reference Search, and Marked References) the cursor stays in the "hovering over text" state (looks like an "I") instead of the "hovering over a link" state (closed fist with thumb and index finger out). It just seems weird to see that, I was surprised the menu items worked as links the first time I used them because of this.

That's it for now, although I'm not done testing...
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Auman wrote:A few errors with the Dutch version of the site:

1) In the main menu in the header of the pages (very top, right of screen) the nav text for "Help" is "Help". I don't speak Dutch, but according to Babel Fish "Help" in Dutch is "Hulp". Babel Fish could be wrong (again, I wouldn't know), but the word "help" is used across the whole site (e.g. see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/search?type=marked and the content of http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/help). Note: "hulp" in Dutch may be more properly rendered "aid", so this item may not be an issue. In performing a scripture search both "help" and "hulp" came up.

2) The copyright notice in the footer of the pages shows up as © instead of the copyright sign (which is interesting as © is the correct ASCII character code). The copyright notice is also in English "© 2006 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.". I'm using FF 2.0.0.14.

3) In the footer the links Informatie over rechten en gebruik and Privacybeleid both go to English versions of the pages ("Rights and use information" and "Privacy policy", respectively), as opposed to the Dutch versions of those pages.

Note: for the above items see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/.

4) When I perform a word search (any search that has matching results) the phrase "alle vormen van het woord ************ in de Tekst van de Schriften}, sorted by relevance." is displayed at the top of the screen, where ************ is the search string. The right curly bracket, }, and the following English text "sorted by relevance" is the concern. E.g., see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/searc ... &do=Zoeken.

5) When I perform a topic search (any search that has matching results) the phrase "Geselecteerde verwijzingen in de Schriften in verband met het onderwerp ************, sorted by relevance." is displayed at the top of the screen, where ************ is the search string. The English text "sorted by relevance" is the concern. E.g., see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/searc ... st=checked.

6) Is "matching" a Dutch word for the English word "matching" (an unlikely cognate being a gerund)? I ask as the text at the top of a "Study Helps Search" (when a search is performed) is "Titels in de studiemiddelen matching ************.", where ************ is the search string.

Also, another minor concern (could be a general problem): on the search page (whether in English or in Dutch) when one hovers over the links in the search menu (i.e. the links for Word Search, Topic Search, Study Helps Search, Reference Search, and Marked References) the cursor stays in the "hovering over text" state (looks like an "I") instead of the "hovering over a link" state (closed fist with thumb and index finger out). It just seems weird to see that, I was surprised the menu items worked as links the first time I used them because of this.

That's it for now, although I'm not done testing...
Thanks Auman this is great work. Here is some information for the issues you found.

1 - I'm not sure myself. I'll be sure to pass this along to development and translation though. Seems to me that it should be Hulp. We will definitely find out before we release to the public.
2- This issue has been reported and will appear in every language of the scriptures.
3- This is actually an external link to the public http://www.lds.org web site. Every language of the scriptures links to these pages which are not translated into different languages. We do need to find a better solution for this which may include simply having local copies of the pages which would then be translated, unless of course the Church changes them in the future then that could be a problem since we would then have an out dated local copy. Hmmm..
4- Nice catch. This will be reported to development.
5- Another nice catch. Should be fixed when issue number 4 is fixed.
6- I have no idea :) This is the tricky part of testing different languages simple because it could be a valid word. I'll pass it along and find out.
7- Regarding hovering over the search links. You must be using Firefox because in IE the mouse cursor changes to the pointing hand when you hover over the objects. It's something that needs to be fixed however it may not happen with this release. They may have to change the object types to something that works better with firefox.

These are all great issues! Thanks for the hard work and time you are spending.
Stewart Peatross
Andrew.J.Auman

Post by Andrew.J.Auman »

In regards to item 7, I'm using Fire Fox 2.0.0.14. I've also tested it in IE 6/7 and Safari 3.1, and it works fine with those browsers. Haven't tried Opera or any of the less common browsers yet.

Q: Is anyone testing out the site on handheld devices (Blackberries, Web-capable phones, iPhones, etc) or with screen readers (for the visually impaired)?

Thanks.
Andrew Auman

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”