We Need Help Testing the Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
Andrew.J.Auman

General Question About New Online Version of Scriptures

Post by Andrew.J.Auman »

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but when beta.scriptures.lds.org becomes the new scriptures.lds.org will the links be permanent (or will permanent links be made available)? I have a wiki on my laptop which I use to keep track of my notes from personal scripture study and I would love to be able to link to the Church's online gospel archive for references (since an XML version of the content isn't available). However, if all of the links change in the future it would make a mess for me.

Andrew Auman
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Auman wrote:I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but when beta.scriptures.lds.org becomes the new scriptures.lds.org will the links be permanent (or will permanent links be made available)? I have a wiki on my laptop which I use to keep track of my notes from personal scripture study and I would love to be able to link to the Church's online gospel archive for references (since an XML version of the content isn't available). However, if all of the links change in the future it would make a mess for me.

Andrew Auman
http://tech.lds.org/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=79

This document doesn't say anything about links being permanent, but since it is a URL strategy the Church is trying to follow keeping the community in mind, I bet it won't change much (if at all).
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Auman wrote:In regards to item 7, I'm using Fire Fox 2.0.0.14. I've also tested it in IE 6/7 and Safari 3.1, and it works fine with those browsers. Haven't tried Opera or any of the less common browsers yet.

Q: Is anyone testing out the site on handheld devices (Blackberries, Web-capable phones, iPhones, etc) or with screen readers (for the visually impaired)?

Thanks.
Andrew Auman
Not that I know of. I know that some of the developers have hand held devices that they occasionally test with. Someone needs to buy me an iPhone.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Auman wrote:I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but when beta.scriptures.lds.org becomes the new scriptures.lds.org will the links be permanent (or will permanent links be made available)? I have a wiki on my laptop which I use to keep track of my notes from personal scripture study and I would love to be able to link to the Church's online gospel archive for references (since an XML version of the content isn't available). However, if all of the links change in the future it would make a mess for me.

Andrew Auman
I wouldn't count on the links always remaining the same. As we introduce new languages it may require some adjustments to the current structure.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Auman wrote:A few errors with the Dutch version of the site:

1) In the main menu in the header of the pages (very top, right of screen) the nav text for "Help" is "Help". I don't speak Dutch, but according to Babel Fish "Help" in Dutch is "Hulp". Babel Fish could be wrong (again, I wouldn't know), but the word "help" is used across the whole site (e.g. see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/search?type=marked and the content of http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/help). Note: "hulp" in Dutch may be more properly rendered "aid", so this item may not be an issue. In performing a scripture search both "help" and "hulp" came up.

2) The copyright notice in the footer of the pages shows up as © instead of the copyright sign (which is interesting as © is the correct ASCII character code). The copyright notice is also in English "© 2006 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.". I'm using FF 2.0.0.14.

3) In the footer the links Informatie over rechten en gebruik and Privacybeleid both go to English versions of the pages ("Rights and use information" and "Privacy policy", respectively), as opposed to the Dutch versions of those pages.

Note: for the above items see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/.

4) When I perform a word search (any search that has matching results) the phrase "alle vormen van het woord ************ in de Tekst van de Schriften}, sorted by relevance." is displayed at the top of the screen, where ************ is the search string. The right curly bracket, }, and the following English text "sorted by relevance" is the concern. E.g., see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/searc ... &do=Zoeken.

5) When I perform a topic search (any search that has matching results) the phrase "Geselecteerde verwijzingen in de Schriften in verband met het onderwerp ************, sorted by relevance." is displayed at the top of the screen, where ************ is the search string. The English text "sorted by relevance" is the concern. E.g., see http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/nl/searc ... st=checked.

6) Is "matching" a Dutch word for the English word "matching" (an unlikely cognate being a gerund)? I ask as the text at the top of a "Study Helps Search" (when a search is performed) is "Titels in de studiemiddelen matching ************.", where ************ is the search string.

Also, another minor concern (could be a general problem): on the search page (whether in English or in Dutch) when one hovers over the links in the search menu (i.e. the links for Word Search, Topic Search, Study Helps Search, Reference Search, and Marked References) the cursor stays in the "hovering over text" state (looks like an "I") instead of the "hovering over a link" state (closed fist with thumb and index finger out). It just seems weird to see that, I was surprised the menu items worked as links the first time I used them because of this.

That's it for now, although I'm not done testing...
Auman,

I just wanted to let you know that the bracket } in issue 4 will be fixed. The rest have to go through translation "sorted by relevance" "Help" vs "Hulp" etc... The issue with the mouse over in search is a Firefox problem and cannot be fixed on our end.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

speatross wrote:Reported to development thanks!
This has been fixed.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:The Options page (http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/hu/options) has English text by the 4th check box. It says "Topical Guide (TG) utalások".

Not only is "Topical Guide" in English, but the TG doesn't match the GS that I see down below in the help text. Also, the whole set of abbreviations seems rather English -- except for HEB, which is close to "Héber" (Hungarian for Hebrew), the abbreviations HEB, IE, OR, GS don't seem to match the corresponding Hungarian words.
This is fixed. The fix is not in the current version that you will find on beta.scriptures.lds.org.
kalebpederson

French 1

Post by kalebpederson »

4.d) This works but the text being input is passed through directly. No HTML escaping is done. Javascript anyone?

5.d) The search seems to work correctly when searching for "foi" (faith). However, there's a combination of French/English that is returned:

"FOIAll forms of the word FOI dans le Texte du Écritures, sorted by relevance.TexteÉcritures"

Note that the above spacing is actual -- missing spaces and all.

6.d) When doing a topical search the searched-for-topic is concatenated on the right without a space:

"Références sélectionnées dans le Écritures en rapport avec topic sorted by relevance.ESPERANCE"

I finished up through all of six and will try to continue on 7 soon.

--Kpederson
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

kpederson wrote:4.d) This works but the text being input is passed through directly. No HTML escaping is done. Javascript anyone?

5.d) The search seems to work correctly when searching for "foi" (faith). However, there's a combination of French/English that is returned:

"FOIAll forms of the word FOI dans le Texte du Écritures, sorted by relevance.TexteÉcritures"

Note that the above spacing is actual -- missing spaces and all.

6.d) When doing a topical search the searched-for-topic is concatenated on the right without a space:

"Références sélectionnées dans le Écritures en rapport avec topic sorted by relevance.ESPERANCE"

I finished up through all of six and will try to continue on 7 soon.

--Kpederson
Kpederson,

Thanks for your help with French. Issues 1 and 2 have been reported and I will forward your third issue on to development. When you report issues it's helpful for me if you could include a link.

Thanks and keep us posted on how you are doing.
kalebpederson

French 2

Post by kalebpederson »

Perhaps this is already included in the bug report you mentioned in your earlier post, but the search box passes text through to HTML directly. For example, on the page http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/fr/contents, if you search for “<FOI>”, it generates HTML that contains:

<input class='textfield' value="<FOI>"…

7.2) When searching for “esperance” on the gospel study page, some interesting text is displayed:

Titres dans les Aides à létude {0,choice,0#matching|1#containing} {1}

The URL for the above page is:

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/fr/searc ... =esperance

8.a) Near the top of the page there is a reference to “D&C” which should reference “D&A”. It looks like all the rest is translated correctly.

Also, near the bottom of the page there are some characters which show up as boxes under an up-to-date IE7 (although Firefox 2 shows them correctly). In context, it’s the word “vers” in the following sentence:

“Cette option permet de rechercher toutes les références croisées indiquées dans les notes de bas de page et les aides à l'étude pointant “vers” un verset ou groupe de versets d'Écritures.”

(Note: in previewing this, the boxes turn to curly quotes, but I don't see quotes around it in Firefox, so I'm not sure if that's the wiki)

And here’s the URL:

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/fr/searc ... p=&search=

9.a) I see some of the same character display problems on this page as I do on the other. For example, surrounding “Annuler” in the following sentence:

(il n'y a pas d'option “Annuler” après avoir supprimé la sélection d'une référence d'Écritures).

And here’s the URL:

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/fr/searc ... p=&search=

9.d) After marking some verses and going to the selected verses page, the following text shows up in English on the top right:

“Clear Marked References”

Also, in your documentation you indicate that 75 verses are supported. The help description says that 50 verses may be marked.

That’s it for tonight.

--Kpederson

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”