General Conference sessions prior to 1971

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
s_brady

General Conference sessions prior to 1971

Post by s_brady »

Hello,

Does anyone know if recordings of General Conference sessions prior to 1971 are available anywhere?

Thanks
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: General Conference sessions prior to 1971

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't know about recordings, but the talks are available in text form:
http://ldsmediatalk.com/2012/01/11/olde ... nferences/
http://scriptures.byu.edu/gc-historical/

You might also try asking via the Feedback tool:
https://www.lds.org/tools/feedback?lang ... conference

I'm not sure when the church started recording audio of conference (anyone have any idea?) but I assume there are some recordings before 1971... 1971 is the year when the Ensign / New Era / Friend started, so that's probably why they chose that year as the limit.
will7370

Post by will7370 »

I'm really looking for audio files of conference addresses prior to 1971. Elder Richard L. Evans in particular, as he always had a deep, peaceful, comforting voice.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

1971 is a pretty firm stop on this stuff. I doubt you'll ever see official church sponsored publishing beyond that date.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:1971 is a pretty firm stop on this stuff. I doubt you'll ever see official church sponsored publishing beyond that date.
Any particular reason for that?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

1971 is when Correlation started reviewing content (coincides with release of the modern Church Magazines.) Anything before 1971 is not Correlated which would need to be done before official release.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

...but I'm going to bet that if there's anything disturbing before 1971 then someone has already made a big deal about it on the Internet somewhere. :)
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

Try explaining that to the Church Correlation Department. ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russelljd wrote:1971 is when Correlation started reviewing content (coincides with release of the modern Church Magazines.) Anything before 1971 is not Correlated which would need to be done before official release.
Pretty good reason. I was wondering if it was availability or condition of the media.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:...but I'm going to bet that if there's anything disturbing before 1971 then someone has already made a big deal about it on the Internet somewhere. :)
'71 is so pre-internet, I doubt if it was looked at that critically or any issues achieved enough 'mass' to carry over to the internet era.

Or to put it another way, there's a lot of things in society in general from pre-internet that are missing today.

Return to “General Discussions”