French Bible - Gospel Library app

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
grantpaulemery

French Bible - Gospel Library app

Post by grantpaulemery »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes!

It has come to my attention that the Louis Segond (French) translation of the Bible has entered the public domain. Of course, this liberates the Church to publish the translation of the Bible that it currently uses in France and other French-speaking countries. I am aware of the complications of publishing physical copies of any book (page layout, for example). However, I imagine there are fewer complications when it comes to publishing scripture in the Gospel Library app. I would therefore like to volunteer my services to get the French Bible into a format that can be used in the Gospel Library app. I am sure I do not need to outline the benefits of providing this service, especially as French-speaking Africa booms with convert growth.

As far as footnotes go, I would follow the footnotes provided in the 2013 edition of the English scriptures to determine where they should go. As part of an initial (Phase I) effort, I would omit the following references for the sake of time:
• Translation-related footnotes (GR, HEB, IE, OR) – I am sure that a team of translators would be required to review these footnotes
• Any JST that is not currently included in the French Joseph Smith Translation appendix – again, because a team of translators would need to work on this project
• Any TG of BD references that do not have a French equivalent in the Guide des Ecritures (Guide to the Scriptures)
• Editorial notes
Of course, this would decrease the thoroughness of the footnotes, but it would still leave scripture cross-references, many JST references, and Guide to the Scriptures references. As a Phase I, this seems like a decent set of study tools.

In order to reduce the need to complete the same work multiple times, I was wondering if anyone knows anything regarding how the text and footnotes should be stored. I do not know what type of content management system is currently used for scriptures in the Gospel Library app, but I am sure that it would be easier to publish the French Bible electronically if it is compiled in the same format.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: French Bible - Gospel Library app

Post by sbradshaw »

This sounds like a fun project to help with. Let me know if you are able to contact anyone to get an official response from the church. I'd like to help, if it could be organized with the support of the scriptures committee.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wonder if the church would be more likely to adapt and update the translation, like they did for the Spanish Reina-Valera Bible, instead of keeping the text exactly as-is. If they have plans to do this, I could see them not wanting to publish anything yet. The church likes to take their time with things to make sure they are done right – especially when it comes to the scriptures, which are tightly guarded because they represent official canonical doctrine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:when it comes to the scriptures, which are tightly guarded because they represent official canonical doctrine.
While the church might use volunteers (as in non-paid), I think the strict oversight would prevent a normal volunteer effort.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
grantpaulemery

Post by grantpaulemery »

I understand the strict oversight, and that has actually been a concern for me. I could also see that the Church might want to make some translation updates. However, I also know that French is not the highest priority for foreign language products. Therefore, they may use this as an "until a French Bible becomes a priority" type of solution in the mid-term. I could furthermore see this as a tool for them to help reduce the work required for an eventual publication of a paper Bible.

I'm sure they'll want Church employees to review the work. I am crossing my fingers that they will consider this a good enough deal that we won't run into any problems. I have tried to reduce as many concerns as possible for them.

So, the big question for the moment is what format we need the scriptures recorded in.
LynnKay

Post by LynnKay »

This morning, a Haitian brother in my ward asked me about getting a French-language Bible for him. I'm more than willing to do so, but I need to know what the Church-accepted version of the Bible is for French-speaking Latter-day Saints. Any help is appreciated.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The Church recommended translation:
Bible Society of France, 1910 Louis Segond UBS Version, 1990 Edition.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The Bible is also available in Gospel Library now, in French.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=fra

Return to “Gospel Library”