Why no pop filter at general conference?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
sonalita

Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by sonalita »

The microphones used in the conference centre seem very sensitive to lip smacking and saliva noises, which is extremely distracting from the speaker's message. I think a pop filter as used in recording studios and radio broadcasting would help.

There are some talks I just can't bear to listen to because of the excessive lip smacking and saliva noises
Aczlan

Re: Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by Aczlan »

They are used pretty much exclusively in studios and rarely (if ever) in live meetings/performances, so I would be surprised to see one in General Conference.
As for the mic being particularly sensitive, that is most likely a very high end microphone and the sound guys are doing the best they can do with the room and the speakers (ie: the people speaking).
Part of it is probably due to the fact that a quiet speaker requires more amplification which makes pops and other sounds more noticeable, but you cant exactly tap someone on the shoulder in General Conference and say "speak up please" during their talk.

Aaron Z
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by russellhltn »

sonalita wrote:There are some talks I just can't bear to listen to because of the excessive lip smacking and saliva noises
I know of pop (breath blasts into the microphone) and sibilance (overly sharp s sound), but I don't know if those will work on that sound. Editing in post should be effective, if time consuming.

I'd suggest noting the names of recent speakers and using Feedback on the main site to complain about it. Hopefully a note can be passed along to work with that individual on their habit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”