Dinning on Sabbath

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
glenndrew

Dinning on Sabbath

Post by glenndrew »

We live in a rural town and frequently have to travel on the Sabbath to attend Stake functions and Meeting. My wife and I have discussed wither it is permissible to stop at an open eatery to dine before traveling home. Often the local wards offer a Linger Longer and ask our ward to bring a dessert. It seems if it is just priesthood meeting there is no Linger Longer and after leaving home before the dinner hour and arriving home after it makes for a long time between meals.

I know we are told not to stop and eat. My wife says if I am hungry I should.
lmcguire

Re: Dinning on Sabbath

Post by lmcguire »

Glenndrew,

Can you not take food with you and store it in a cooler or the fridge, and reheat it (if needed) in the kitchen?

Liz
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Dining on Sabbath

Post by lajackson »

glenndrew wrote:I know we are told not to stop and eat. My wife says if I am hungry I should.
Liz has a suggestion you should consider, but the decision is really up to you. You and your wife know the principle of keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Discuss it and pray about it. You may find that many times you will not need to buy food, and sometimes you will.

Two personal examples.

When it took 3/4 of a tank of gas to get to the branch I was assigned to visit. I bought gas on Sunday so I could get home.

Once a quarter, I left home at 7:30 am to attend Church. Around 1:30 pm I left from the meetinghouse to drive to another city to a meeting that lasted until 6:00 pm. Returning without stopping, I would get home at 8:30 pm. I usually got home at 9:00 pm because I stopped to eat what was sometimes my first meal of the day.

These are extreme examples. Some said in the second example I should not have eaten until I got home. That's an okay answer if your blood sugar level holds up while you are driving 2-1/2 hours on a crowded freeway in the dark at the end of a 12 hour day without food. My family preferred that I got home safely.

The Spirit will guide you in your personal decisions and circumstances to know the right thing to do.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Dinning on Sabbath

Post by Mikerowaved »

You have valid questions, but unfortunately, this forum was created to help members and leaders with understanding and usage of church provided technology. On questions regarding church policy or doctrine, your bishop or other local leader(s) can provide you with the best possible council.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”