Transferring Ward Mission Fund Balance to a Unit in a Different Stake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joshkirn

Transferring Ward Mission Fund Balance to a Unit in a Different Stake

Post by joshkirn »

We had a missionary's family move to a unit in a different stake while the missionary is out. They continued paying our ward for a month after the transfer of financial responsibility, so we have a surplus in our unit while the other unit is saying that the family owes money. I've found that it is quite easy to transfer money between units in my stake but cannot find the best way (or proper protocol) for transferring the funds outside of the stake. I'm wondering if this needs to be approved by the stake, or be transferred through the stake clerk. If not, is there a way to electronically transfer the funds? Can we cut a check directly from the ward missionary fund for this missionary to reimburse the family so they can re-contribute in their new unit?

Thanks in advance for the help.
eblood66

Re: Transferring Ward Mission Fund Balance to a Unit in a Different Stake

Post by eblood66 »

I don't know of any easy way to transfer funds directly between units of different stakes in general. Writing a check to the family is not allowed (donations are non-refundable).

You have two possibilities. When a ward calls CHQ to transfer responsibility for a missionary you can specify the effective date for the change. CHQ will either keep charging the original ward until that date (if the date is in the future) or will refund the original ward and charge the new ward appropriately (if the date is in the past). If the date is chosen correctly this takes care of this kind of issue. It sounds like responsibility has already been transferred but you can call Local Unit Support and see if they can still make adjustments after the fact.

The other option is to just write a check to the other unit and mail it to them. This is simple but you don't have much supporting documentation for the transaction. For that reason you may want to check into seeing if LUS can make the adjustments first.
joshkirn

Re: Transferring Ward Mission Fund Balance to a Unit in a Different Stake

Post by joshkirn »

Thanks so much!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”