Historical General Conference music info

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Historical General Conference music info

Post by sbradshaw »

I have two General Conference history questions that maybe someone can answer:

First, does anyone know of any sources of information that list what songs were sung in General Relief Society Meetings, General Young Women Meetings, and General Women’s Meetings before 1996? The information doesn't appear to be on LDS.org anywhere that I can find (I looked in the Ensign pages and the General Conference pages).

Second, according to the October 1991 Conference Report, pages 68 and 73, the closing song for the General Priesthood Session was "God of Our Fathers." However, I'm trying to figure out if it was "God of Our Fathers, Whose Almighty Hand," "God of Our Fathers, We Come unto Thee," or "God of Our Fathers, Known of Old." Does anyone have access to a physical copy of the October 1991 Ensign to see if there's a music section that lists it more specifically; or a recording of the conference on cassette tape or CD that could look it up? I couldn't find any recordings or specific information on LDS.org.

Similar to the above, which version of "Rise Up, O Men of God" was sung in April 1991, Priesthood Session?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Historical General Conference music info

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:Does anyone have access to a physical copy of the October 1991 Ensign to see if there's a music section that lists it more specifically;
The November 1991 Ensign, which is the conference issue, sheds no additional light on the version of "God of Our Fathers." The music information section at the front only lists who sang, not what they sang.

As for your April 1991 question, I believe they did the Festal Song tune now found at Hymn 324 in the hymnal. But that is based on my memory. I remember hearing it, and how impactful it was in view of the talk that had just been given.

Alas, my memory has failed me before, but that's the one I would vote for based on what few brain cells remain.

Back then we were still recording the sessions off the satellite on VHS tape, but our library no longer has a VHS player, so I can't check that, either. (I think the tapes are also no longer.)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm impressed that you remember back to a conference in April 1991! :) I'll go with that unless someone else has something more concrete. Thanks!
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

There is a website Singpraises.net that lists the music from 1991 conferences and probably has other years as well.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jasonhyer wrote:There is a website Singpraises.net that lists the music from 1991 conferences and probably has other years as well.
That's actually my website, that I'm gathering information for. :)
kaoc71

Post by kaoc71 »

Personally, in trying to find the videos of the ricks college combined choir from the April 1991 Saturday afternoon session. The talks are all available but not the choir numbers. Desperately trying to find the videos. My husband and I sang in that choir. My daughter just saying in the April 2024 Saturday afternoon session and we want to compare pictures
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You may be able to get access to the video from the Church History Catalog. Here's a link to the April 1991 Saturday Afternoon Session:
https://catalog.churchofjesuschrist.org/record/7eacaa5b-fb1e-4d82-a6b7-8f12159c97bf/aa4ef217-931a-402c-ae68-f63059f128d1?view=browse
You'll need to sign in with your Church Account, then click "Request Digital Access." Usually access requests take a few weeks.
Hope this helps!

Return to “General Discussions”