Tithing Settlement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Tithing Settlement

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:We usually hand out tithing statements as people come in for interviews, and they can review it as they wait. If you do that, it may be helpful to set their appointment time to 15 minutes before they actually go in to see the bishop.
I like to review mine beforehand, so that during the 15 minutes the clerk can make the corrections. [grin]

Actually, that used to be the pattern. Now, with online donations there has been nothing to correct, so we spend the 15 minutes looking at my IOS and commenting on how a married family with lots of children moved here many years ago from a single student ward in Rexburg, Idaho, something my wonderful clerk cannot fix.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

True, if there are mistakes it can be nice to get them corrected before your interview, but it's not required for corrections to be made before you declare your tithing status. They can just as easily be made after the interview or within the next few days.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It looks like if you tick the "My financial statements do not need to be printed by my Ward" option now it won't have any effect this year - the "Donor Statement of Contributions - 01 Nov 2016 - " document has already been generated so unless the file will be regenerated on a regular basis the statement is going to be printed. I also don't see anything online indicating that my records do not need to be printed.
kai4785

Post by kai4785 »

aclawson wrote:It looks like if you tick the "My financial statements do not need to be printed by my Ward" option now it won't have any effect this year - the "Donor Statement of Contributions - 01 Nov 2016 - " document has already been generated so unless the file will be regenerated on a regular basis the statement is going to be printed. I also don't see anything online indicating that my records do not need to be printed.
This is the behavior we've noticed as well. We only became aware of the "opt out" setting after the Pre-Generated report was generated. We were hoping to announce over the pulpit that there is now a paperless option for Tithing Settlement. I'd even take a separate report of those who have opted out, and manually check boxes to generate a new report, simply to resolve the timing issue.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aclawson wrote:It looks like if you tick the "My financial statements do not need to be printed by my Ward" option now it won't have any effect this year - the "Donor Statement of Contributions - 01 Nov 2016 - " document has already been generated so unless the file will be regenerated on a regular basis the statement is going to be printed. I also don't see anything online indicating that my records do not need to be printed.
I put a note in our sacrament program encouraging people to check the box and then the statements got generated the day before people saw the note. :(

But I assume it will also affect whether tax documents are generated in January so I'm still encouraging members to check it if they don't need a paper copy.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Would it affect the generation of tax documents? Those still have to be signed by the bishop, no?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aclawson wrote:Would it affect the generation of tax documents? Those still have to be signed by the bishop, no?
The combined statements from CHQ in the last few years came with a signature by someone in SLC. The same is true for the one you can download from the donation page on lds.org. So I don't think the Bishop will have to sign them this year.

I see no reason why they would generate statements for those who say they will get theirs online.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Does that mean that any tithing paid after mid-October won't show up on their statement, even if their tithing settlement is in December? That seems strange to me – maybe they do regenerate the statements periodically, or if there are changes.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:Does that mean that any tithing paid after mid-October won't show up on their statement, even if their tithing settlement is in December?
The report just generated is the one given to members as tithing settlement begins. If the member continues to donate and a new report is not generated, it will only show information to mid-October.

I am quite certain that new reports will be generated in January to cover the entire 2016 calendar year for tax purposes.

In addition to the check box at the Donation site, the tithing settlement instructions also said if a member generated their own statement, they would not be included in the group of statements generated by the clerk. As others have noticed, the current reports seem to have been generated before the change, so it is difficult to tell if the new policy actually has been implemented.
rjhidaho

Post by rjhidaho »

Is the pre-generated list of donations updated? I see the one for 2016, but it does not include any donations made during the month of October. If presented to members, they will wonder what happened to their most recent donations.

One alternative is to generate a new donor statement -- but that has no option to omit members who made no contributions or have selected to print their own statements (to emulate the "pre-generated" list.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”