Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Post by russellhltn »

thekeck wrote:All the world receives the same video feed.
I'm not sure as that's completely true. I wouldn't be a bit surprised but what different satellites got different feeds. With the new Cisco boxes for the church system, there could be more feeds. (In the old system, there was one video with multiple audio tracks. But with the Cisco box, you have one channel for each language pair. How that translates on the back end, I'm not sure.)

However, this change may be an outgrowth of restructuring the video feeds.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mottley

Post by mottley »

Hagothsen wrote:
thekeck wrote:Fun Conference Fact:
We are no longer broadcasting the lyrics to the Congregational Hymn. Why, you ask?
All the world receives the same video feed. We then add over 90 live languages to that video. In a global church, it no longer makes sense to have everyone view the English lyrics on their screen.
So grab your Hymnal, or check out the LDS Music app and sing along in whichever language you prefer! Happy Sunday Morning! #ldsconf
Then... announce the hymn#, or use a lower third graphic.
Not all hymnals have the same hymn# for each hymn. You would probably have 90 #'s for all the hymnals.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's true that, at least on LDS.org, the hymn subtitles from previous conferences seem to always be in English, but if that's the only reason, then why didn't they also remove other subtitles – for example, the subtitles that show the name and calling of the speaker?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
cksedg

Post by cksedg »

Many times we are viewing conference in buildings or areas of the building where hymnbooks are not available (General Priesthood Session), and/or it is too dark to see the hymnbook clearly. Also at home, I have to quickly find a hymnbook or my computer or phone to find the lyrics. It is a large disruption to enjoying the spirit of the meeting. If you can send out the audio in 90 languages, surely you could include the hymn lyrics in a few of those languages.
doylea

Post by doylea »

We are no longer broadcasting the lyrics to the Congregational Hymn. Why, you ask?
All the world receives the same video feed. We then add over 90 live languages to that video. In a global church, it no longer makes sense to have everyone view the English lyrics on their screen.
So grab your Hymnal, or check out the LDS Music app and sing along in whichever language you prefer! Happy Sunday Morning! #ldsconf
If that is true, then it doesn't make much sense to display the text of President Monson's talk in English. As has already been mentioned, it is problematic in some buildings to turn on the lights during the broadcast to consult the hymn book.
michellekayekennedy

Post by michellekayekennedy »

The above makes sense. However, on the internet there is an option to choose the English language version from several other selections . If the church is changing the audio language, why can't they follow suit and change the captioning language to the hymns? Is it really too technologically difficult? Not everyone has hymnals/electronics in the home to go around.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cksedg wrote:If you can send out the audio in 90 languages, surely you could include the hymn lyrics in a few of those languages.
For 88 of those languages, I think it's little more than a voice-over by the translator. ASL is the only one I'm sure of that has it's own video feed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

So, because some can't read English, it is better to deny all?
wfindlay

Post by wfindlay »

Is this really the official reason? I ask because this is your first post here, and your username doesn't exactly look official.
wfindlay

Post by wfindlay »

Ok, I've seen this quote now on facebook and someone who works with music in general conference confirmed it, so I'm no longer skeptical. :-)

Return to “General Discussions”