Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:19 pm

There are 32 hymns that have been translated into 88 languages.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15100
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby aebrown » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:45 pm

sbradshaw wrote:There are 32 hymns that have been translated into 88 languages.

Is "Go Forth With Faith" one of them? That was the congregational hymn sung in the Saturday afternoon session, and although it's certainly not as obscure as "Sons of Michael, He Approaches," it's probably not one that most members have memorized. In my recent memory it's the least well-known hymn selected for a congregational hymn in a session of general conference. "Go Forth With Faith" is available in the Hymns section of LDS.org in English, German, French, Spanish, and Portuguese -- all the languages supported in the interactive music player on LDS.org.

I'm curious -- how were you able to look up that factoid about how many hymns have been translated into 88 languages? Is that a source that is publicly available?

cummin
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby cummin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:58 pm

thekeck wrote:Fun Conference Fact:
We are no longer broadcasting the lyrics to the Congregational Hymn. Why, you ask?
All the world receives the same video feed. We then add over 90 live languages to that video. In a global church, it no longer makes sense to have everyone view the English lyrics on their screen.
So grab your Hymnal, or check out the LDS Music app and sing along in whichever language you prefer! Happy Sunday Morning! #ldsconf


If that's the case, then in a global church it also no longer makes sense to force all speakers to give their talks in English and so they should each be allowed to speak in their native language. Consistency is the key, guys. Are we a global church or not?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 26412
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:11 pm

cummin wrote:If that's the case, then in a global church it also no longer makes sense to force all speakers to give their talks in English and so they should each be allowed to speak in their native language. Consistency is the key, guys. Are we a global church or not?

They tried that, but there may be some technical issues discouraging making that a routine thing.

Dropping lyrics is simple. The number of non-English viewers may be such that asking them to "sing" the English lyrics doesn't go over well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:40 pm

aebrown wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:There are 32 hymns that have been translated into 88 languages.

Is "Go Forth With Faith" one of them? That was the congregational hymn sung in the Saturday afternoon session, and although it's certainly not as obscure as "Sons of Michael, He Approaches," it's probably not one that most members have memorized.

Go Forth with Faith has been translated into 42 languages. "Sons of Michael, He Approaches" appears to have been translated into Samoan. :)

aebrown wrote:I'm curious -- how were you able to look up that factoid about how many hymns have been translated into 88 languages? Is that a source that is publicly available?

The source is SingPraises.net (bottom of the page).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby Mikerowaved » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm

russellhltn wrote:I'd imagine there's a list somewhere of "acceptable" songs. <grin>

Hehe. My wife and I call them the LDS Top 40.

Regarding on-screen lyrics, that was the #1 thing requested by those who attended our last stake conference in the [dimly lit] overflow building. Might be nice providing our stake something the church stopped doing. 8-)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Sasynuik
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby Sasynuik » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 am

I saw a quick shot of the rostrum and they did have lyrics on their screens during the hymns.

StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby StevePoulsen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:53 am

Hagothsen wrote:
thekeck wrote:Fun Conference Fact:
We are no longer broadcasting the lyrics to the Congregational Hymn. Why, you ask?
All the world receives the same video feed. We then add over 90 live languages to that video. In a global church, it no longer makes sense to have everyone view the English lyrics on their screen.
So grab your Hymnal, or check out the LDS Music app and sing along in whichever language you prefer! Happy Sunday Morning! #ldsconf


Then... announce the hymn#, or use a lower third graphic.


Um, hymn numbers are not the same from language to language either.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 26412
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby russellhltn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:18 pm

StevePoulsen wrote:Um, hymn numbers are not the same from language to language either.


Hopefully it's something they work on when it comes time to do a new hymn book. 8-)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

kellymab
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Postby kellymab » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 pm

StevePoulsen wrote:
Hagothsen wrote:
thekeck wrote:Fun Conference Fact:
We are no longer broadcasting the lyrics to the Congregational Hymn. Why, you ask?
All the world receives the same video feed. We then add over 90 live languages to that video. In a global church, it no longer makes sense to have everyone view the English lyrics on their screen.
So grab your Hymnal, or check out the LDS Music app and sing along in whichever language you prefer! Happy Sunday Morning! #ldsconf


Then... announce the hymn#, or use a lower third graphic.


Um, hymn numbers are not the same from language to language either.


They could at least announce the English hymn number. The translators could have the hymn number for the respective language they are translating for. Yeah it's not verbatim of what's being said, but it is an applicable translation.

Most people I know who use the hymns app don't realize that you can sort via "ABC"; they continue to look numerically which poses a problem when they only announce the title.

We do need to give everyone a break. Growing pains are hard on everyone. All this means is that we need to have more hymn chase exercises in addition to scripture chases.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest