Gospel Library for Windows 10 Version 4.0.0.0

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

craigmclaws

Re: Gospel Library for Windows 10 Version 4.0.0.0

Post by craigmclaws »

Apparently Gospel Library updated and now with my Surface Pro (1) I am not able to use it. Same issue as many others, just locks on a picture of Moroni when starting the app. I does not work on my windows build. I tried to upgrade my windows build version but limited memory precludes this so I am out of the loop with the gospel library. Wish you still had an older version up for download.
lv2ref2

Post by lv2ref2 »

PoghosyanV wrote:I installed the App from Windows Store. After installation I tried to launch it, but it would not work. It brings the screen with Moroni and freezes up.
I have the exact same problem. I updated my windows 10 and my surface tells me I am up to date 1511..
I have reinstalled the app a number of times with no success getting beyond the Moroni screen.
When I go to the apps, there are two options move or uninstall...
what is it that I am doing wrong? or what setting am I missing?
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Apparently Gospel Library updated and now with my Surface Pro (1) I am not able to use it. Same issue as many others, just locks on a picture of Moroni when starting the app. I does not work on my windows build. I tried to upgrade my windows build version but limited memory precludes this so I am out of the loop with the gospel library. Wish you still had an older version up for download.
Have you tried downloading the update from Microsoft's website at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 instead of from Windows Update? It doesn't require nearly as much space and makes it much easier to update on devices without a lot of space. I was able to update my HP Stream 7 (a device with only 32GB storage, 1GB memory (RAM)) using this particular method.
I have the exact same problem. I updated my windows 10 and my surface tells me I am up to date 1511..
I have reinstalled the app a number of times with no success getting beyond the Moroni screen.
When I go to the apps, there are two options move or uninstall...
what is it that I am doing wrong? or what setting am I missing?
Windows 10 version 1511 is not up-to-date, but coming up on two years behind (it came out in November of 2015). The current version of Windows 10 is 1703, with 1709 just around the corner. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1 ... on_history

You'll need to update to at least the Anniversary update until we're able to identify what is causing the app to fail for pre-Anniversary Update users and issue a fix. Frankly, it's a good idea to update anyway. The updater at the link below should help you move your device to the Windows 10 Creators Update (1703):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
aaronwright

Post by aaronwright »

With the latest update of Gospel Library I can now see Handbook 1 in the library but when i try to download it, I get an error.

There was a problem downloading "Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops".
Inner Message: EOCDNotFound. For more information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=623485
at GospelLibrary.UI!<BaseAddress>+0x9cac14
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x353fa2
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x353a0e
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x38387a
at GospelLibrary.UI!<BaseAddress>+0xa6f4b4
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x353fa2
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x353a0e
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x38387a
at GospelLibrary.UI!<BaseAddress>+0xa1ff15
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x3c2c09
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x35369a

I tried to send feedback from the app but it just takes me to the default search screen in my browser. And FYI I am 1st Counsellor in the Bishopric and should have access.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

This error occurs when the download has been damaged in some way. Try downloading the book again, on a different WiFi connection if possible.
I tried to send feedback from the app but it just takes me to the default search screen in my browser.
This means that, for whatever reason, your computer has your browser set as your default email client. Likely, it's Chrome, as it's the only browser I've seen do this (incredibly dumb) move. (To be clear, it was Chrome that changed your default mail client at some point, not you.) You can change the default email client to something else (like Outlook Mail) in the settings app. The link below should be helpful:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... indows-10/
scottej52

Post by scottej52 »

I am having language problems with one video (that I know of - I have tried some others and they worked correctly). When I played the video about Sister Madsen in the "Love those you teach" lesson, (Teaching in the Savior's Way) it changed languages on me - very embarrassing since it happened in Teacher Council meeting. It worked fine the night before. In class, I opened Gospel Library, then clicked on "Lessons", then on "Teaching in the Savior's Way" and finally the lesson on "Love Those You Teach". I scrolled down to the video, clicked the Play button, then full screen and flipped the screen around facing the class. I'm not sure what language it was, but it wasn't English.

The button at the top of the window says English. I went into settings and set the App Language to English (United States). I checked Windows settings and it was set to English (United States). If I click on the link to play it from LDS.org, it plays in English.

I have tried deleting "Teaching in the Savior's Way" and reloading it.

I have an Acer Aspire R7 laptop (Aspire R7-572), running Windows 10 Home. Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393. The Gospel Library version is 4.0.6.0..
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Replied via email, but I'll echo my response here:

The video itself has a few segments, beginning partway through, that are not in English, including some that appear to be in an Asian language, and a segment in Spanish. These are all subtitled, with those speaking speaking in their native tongue. The video is presented using these same segments at LDS.org.
scottej52

Post by scottej52 »

You may be looking at another video. There are two that are tagged "Love Those You Teach". The one I'm having trouble with is the one showing Sister Ann Madsen talking about standing at the door after class and telling each student that she loved them. A few seconds into the video, a red screen comes up that says "Teaching, No Greater Call".
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

It was indeed a different video with the same name. Thank you for the additional information. I was able to go back in and research the issue. Apparently, there's a problem with the content being provided to the Gospel Library applications, as both the Android and iOS versions also play the video in another language. Interestingly, LDS.org places this video on its own page, though in Gospel Library it appears at the bottom of the page with the rest of the content. As we volunteers on the Windows team don't develop the application (a dedicated internal team at the Church does), we won't be able to fix this issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ToManyLetters wrote:As we volunteers on the Windows team don't develop the application (a dedicated internal team at the Church does), we won't be able to fix this issue.
Did you mean to say "content"?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”