Scout Camp Refunds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Scout Camp Refunds

Post by drepouille »

We have received a couple refund checks from the scout council for our scouts who cancelled before the deadline. The scout council exists in MLS as a payee and as a non-member donor. I assume I process their refund check as a donation. It seems weird to process a donation to the YM Budget, but I guess this is really the same as processing the remains of an advance that was not fully spent.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Scout Camp Refunds

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I guess this is really the same as processing the remains of an advance that was not fully spent.
Exactly, assuming the payment came out of the budget in the first place, as it should.
waltbristow

Re: Scout Camp Refunds

Post by waltbristow »

If it went into the 'Other' account, it would depend on the source of the original funds, right? If it was a check from the scout or his parents that was consolidated in the 'Other' account and then paid to the Council, that's another situation. If it was the result of fund raising, that's a much different situation. And if it was a check paid directly to the Council by the scout or his parents which the Council is now refunding through the troop (which you normally would not expect to see in a Church scout unit) , that's yet another situation. Finally, you have the situation lajackson mentions. All are different and call for, I think, slightly different handling and paperwork.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”