New Meetinghouse Locator on LDS.org - Beta Release

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I beliver that the address and office phone in LUWS comes from some FM group database.

Any other phone number has been added by the LUWS admin.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I beliver that the address and office phone in LUWS comes from some FM group database.

Any other phone number has been added by the LUWS admin.

I can't recall with certainty if the office phone, other phone, and address fields were prepopulated when we first got our local unit web site. My dim recollection is that the address fields were prepopulated, but the phone numbers were not, but I wouldn't swear to that by any means.

In any case, the following is certainly true now:
  1. Each ward admin can enter both the office number (called "Office") and one other number (called whatever you specify).
  2. The ward cannot enter an address; I assume that it comes from an FM Group database or from the CDOL.
  3. The stake admin can enter both the office number (called "Office") and one other number (called whatever you specify).
  4. The stake can specify the entire address of the stake center.
I can't explain why the stake and ward would be different in adding the address, except that perhaps the database for LUWS address information is tied to property number, not to unit number, so the addresses must be synchronized for all units in a single building. But the office phone number is definitely under local control.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

My memory is that the office phone was filled in.

Interesting about the stake address. That might explain why the "map" link in LUWS doesn't work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:My memory is that the office phone was filled in.
I do not recall that any unit phone numbers were there. We do not have any of them at our LUWS, and I know I never had to remove them. I do not believe they were there in the first place.

I know that the address was there, and that it came from the FM database. The standard procedure is to have the FM group update a meetinghouse address if it is correct or if the unit moves (we had one go from a temporary to a new building.

I also believe that if you send feedback often enough, they will change the address for you without waiting on the FM group, especially when folks cannot find the building based on LUWS information.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

userid333 wrote:Does anyone know the source for the bishop's primary and alternative phone numbers in the meetinghouse locator?

As a new bishop I've found that my wife and children are starting to pick up crank calls with inappropriate language on our home phone. I'm not sure if the map is where my phone number is being found, but I'd like to replace my home phone with another number.

I've got to admit that when I learned that my home phone was openly published on the Internet that I wasn't all that pleased.
While I understand the crank calls are a problem, and I agree that posting home phone numbers without communication/permission is not the best situation, there can be a positive side. At the time I read the email notification of this posting, my wife was asking me to get contact information for the Church unit closest to a hospital about an hour away where a dear friend of our family just got out of brain surgery, not breathing on his own, in a coma, after a traffic accident. We're trying to get missionaries or someone there to give him and/or family members blessings.
opee

Post by opee »

rmrichesjr wrote:While I understand the crank calls are a problem, and I agree that posting home phone numbers without communication/permission is not the best situation, there can be a positive side.

I agree that there is a positive side to having the Bishop's number available. Most churches don't have an answering machine and if there is a need to contact a local leader in an area, it can be hit and miss (usually miss) if you are trying to call the unit building number. Sometimes the phone the is posted is ringing in the Bishop's/clerks office and no one can answer it either. We've joked before that for being a church that welcomes people to participate with us, we make it hard for them to contact us by phone... ;)

I personally like the Bishop's numbers being accessible.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

opee wrote:I personally like the Bishop's numbers being accessible.
Me too...but with their permission. :)
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

userid333, the new bishop, did not seem to be against having a personal number listed, he just wanted to be able to specify what the number was and not have it be his family home number.

As a stake clerk, I submit the Informattion Change requests that are used to populate the CDOL. The form has fields for home and work phones (but surprisingly no field for an email address). Bishops/stake presidents can provide any "home" number they wish. And this form can be resubmitted with updated info at any time. So for any bishops following this thread that would like something other than their family number listed, just contact your stake clerk and let him know.
JLR
McKenzie-p40

Post by McKenzie-p40 »

FYI, the Meeting House Locator is now down. Searches aren't working, at all.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

McKenzie wrote:FYI, the Meeting House Locator is now down. Searches aren't working, at all.
Verified. Hopefully just a temporary outage.

Return to “Main Church Website”