Electronic Pass-Along Cards

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:Uh, I guess I'm not communicating. Go to the LUWS page for your stake. Click on Map. It doesn't work. If it's "out of scope" then the link shouldn't be there. ;)

Yes, I found this out on my own by going to the LUWS page and clicking "map". My idea was simply to use the "church" map rather then google or yahoo since there was some copyright concerns. The simplicity of the results surprised me.
I noticed that when you click on the "Map" link from a stake site that it's passing the address of the stake center to a javascript routine. The resulting map page doesn't contain that passed address so no map appears. Looks like a bug in the javascript routine. If you click on the "Map" link from a ward site, the link passes the unit number instead. The javascript routine probably has a database that pulls up the unit address and creates the map. That routine is working.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

Ray DeGraw wrote:Our stake is making pass-along cards that show each building and directions to the building, along with the address for mormon.org and a space to put a small sticker to announce an event in the stake. As part of this project, we want to make these cards available electronically - for members to be able to be send them via e-mail and link to them on their personal blogs.

What would be the best way to do this - and I am not a technology expert by any stretch.
If anybody has good experience with software (preferably free) that can create nice clean HTML emails supported by as many email programs as possible (no css in them) then I would appreciate to hear.

We have all received nice looking newsletters or latest on offer from amazon etc but what software is out there doing this which could also be used for things like these electronic Stake pass-along cards?

Is it as simple as creating an HTML file, upload it to see it will display on some webspace and then now insert the text of that same html file into your emails? (in html format)? I am after hearing if anybody has any experience of it.

From my point of view it could be used for church newsletters, bulletins, pass-along cards etc in addition to creating PDF files and hard copies like we do for our newsletter.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:Is it as simple as creating an HTML file, upload it to see it will display on some webspace and then now insert the text of that same html file into your emails? (in html format)? I am after hearing if anybody has any experience of it.
In my experience, it is that simple. I would keep the HTML as simple as possible though, and don't get too fancy. But it should work just fine. I can't really think of any restrictions that you should follow in your HTML.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

mkmurray wrote:In my experience, it is that simple. I would keep the HTML as simple as possible though, and don't get too fancy. But it should work just fine. I can't really think of any restrictions that you should follow in your HTML.
That sounds good. I will give it a go next time someone asks for it.

Return to “General Discussions”