Online Member Records Transfer To New Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rdcrisco

Online Member Records Transfer To New Ward

Post by rdcrisco »

How about a online records transfer? I know the ward clerk is busy, so how about for a way for a member to go online and transfer their records to new ward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I doubt that the Priesthood department would approve. Too likely that some members will abuse the ability to move records. Perhaps because their friend is in that ward, they like the bishop better, or to escape discipline.

It's the membership clerk's job to do it. I've not seen a ward where that's a problem. Maybe the BYU wards, but I'm sure they have a system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rdcrisco

Post by rdcrisco »

That makes sence. I thought it would be a type where you send a online request to the ward clerk to transfer your records, the ward clerk reviews it, and then approves it.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Welcome to the forum rdcrisco. You are noticing that sometimes clerks can be VERY slow to make these moves happen. The member knows the info and could speed things up if they could do it themselves. There are reasons this takes time. Sometimes clerks are the very last to know of the move, or don't have the new address; If nothing happens to records, and they eventually "get lost." As RussellHltn posted, I think this ability must remain in the hands of leadership. The records of minor children in a difficult custody case might be one example.

This process is easy when members are willing and helpful. As a ward clerk I was once introduced to a new couple, who then handed me their IOS (individual ordinance summaries) printed by their previous ward clerk for all of their family. Easy to transfer, and a great first impression.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rdcrisco wrote:That makes sence. I thought it would be a type where you send a online request to the ward clerk to transfer your records, the ward clerk reviews it, and then approves it.

That seems workable. I have no idea where that would fall in the list of priorities that the developers have.

Of course, if the records haven't been moved, a member could log into the directory of their old ward and send a email to a bishopric member.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

RussellHltn wrote:It's the membership clerk's job to do it. I've not seen a ward where that's a problem. Maybe the BYU wards, but I'm sure they have a system.
It is a problem in our ward, but not because the clerk or membership clerk are too busy...
awesomemormon

Re: Online Member Records Transfer To New Ward

Post by awesomemormon »

i've had problems with several wards
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

awesomemormon wrote:i've had problems with several wards
My recommendation is don't wait for a prior ward to send your records.
1. Contact your new bishop (you can enter your new address in the "find a meetinghouse" tool on lds.org and get the bishop's contact information where you now live) or simply go to the church and ask for a member of the bishopric or the clerk.
2. Give them your full name, birthdate, and new contact information (address, phone, etc).
3. Ask him to request your membership record.
klricks

Post by klricks »

davesudweeks wrote:....
My recommendation is don't wait for a prior ward to send your records.
+1
The problem is that members move without giving the prior clerk the new address.
Since the prior clerk can't send a record without an address, the record sits in the prior ward for sometimes weeks until the new ward does a request.
Assistant Ward Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One thing to keep in mind: Records are not generally transferred unless the move is expected to be for 3 months or more.

(Handbook 1:13.6.4, 3rd paragraph)

Return to “Membership Help”