Screensaver lock

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Screensaver lock

Post by craiggsmith »

When I set up the machines for my stake they all had the screensaver lock screen enabled. Now I see they don't. Is this something wards would have turned off themselves or something the standard updates would have done?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Screensaver lock

Post by Mikerowaved »

All mine have the screen lock enabled by default and they've stayed that way. I think you're just experiencing the joys of letting regular users have admin privileges.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Screensaver lock

Post by russellhltn »

My stake machine doesn't have a screen saver, but honestly, I don't remember what I set up. A couple of ward machines I checked have a group policy that forces a screen saver. Unless something came down to change that group policy, and attempt at a change would have been unlikely to succeed.

From a privacy standpoint, I'd think a screen saver with a password would be a good idea. As far as I know, MLS doesn't have anything like that, so personal information would be exposed indefinitely if someone left the machine running.

However, I do have strong feelings in that when dealing with machines like ward and FHC machines, the display should never blank out unless the machine is in a state where the power strip can be switched off. Most systems don't have a real obvious power indicator. So, if the screen if bank, some will assume the machine is already off. So, the screen saver should never be a blank screen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”