Priesthood Session Audio/Video

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
User avatar
jtwitchell
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Chandler, AZ USA
Contact:

#21

Post by jtwitchell »

Sorry. I wasn't wanting to divert this discussion. I was trying to support the idea that the Priesthood Session was a required meeting for all priesthood holders, hence why the satellite stream was encrypted and not shown on the Internet. I look forward to seeing something official from HQ.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Alnwick, UK

#22

Post by kennethjorgensen »

net_runner wrote:Sorry. I wasn't wanting to divert this discussion. I was trying to support the idea that the Priesthood Session was a required meeting for all priesthood holders, hence why the satellite stream was encrypted and not shown on the Internet. I look forward to seeing something official from HQ.
I agree with net_runner. I dont think anybody was "questioning policy" as suggested but many are just curious why the Priesthood Session is not made available to watch offline on pair with the other sessions.

My personal curiousness is because it still goes in the Ensign and can even be seen as video online in ASL but not to be downloaded or streamed in the normal format like the rest of the sessions.

Like mkmurray said its an innocent question asked and if the answer is "just because" then I am sure we will all readily accept it.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10662
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

#23

Post by lajackson »

dkjorgi wrote:Like mkmurray said its an innocent question asked and if the answer is "just because" then I am sure we will all readily accept it.
Well, "because" is about the best answer we will get, I think. I am confident the Brethren have their reasons and have chosen, as far as I know, not to discuss the matter further.

There has only been once in my lifetime when the general priesthood meeting was broadcast generally. It was the meeting where the correlation program was announced to the priesthood brethren.

That meeting, in the late 60s, was broadcast on the regular general session commercial television channels (KSL, etc.) in Salt Lake City.

As for the off topic question from dkjorgi, the correct quote is, "Do you strive . . . to attend your sacrament and priesthood meetings, . . ." And no, it has not changed in the last two years, although we do not ask the sisters about priesthood meeting. [smile]
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Alnwick, UK

#24

Post by kennethjorgensen »

lajackson wrote:Well, "because" is about the best answer we will get, I think. I am confident the Brethren have their reasons and have chosen, as far as I know, not to discuss the matter further.

There has only been once in my lifetime when the general priesthood meeting was broadcast generally. It was the meeting where the correlation program was announced to the priesthood brethren.

That meeting, in the late 60s, was broadcast on the regular general session commercial television channels (KSL, etc.) in Salt Lake City.

As for the off topic question from dkjorgi, the correct quote is, "Do you strive . . . to attend your sacrament and priesthood meetings, . . ." And no, it has not changed in the last two years, although we do not ask the sisters about priesthood meeting. [smile]
I will send you a private message instead to avoid the topic going off from the original topic.
JasonBunting
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: SLC, UT, USA
Contact:

Been wondering this forever

#25

Post by JasonBunting »

I used to do the same - pull down the ASL video and extract the audio. Again, I think the key thing that doesn't jibe is that we are looking for the audio *after* the conference is over. And if, for some reason, they didn't want people knowing what was said in Priesthood session, why would they provide the text?

Just strange.

Perhaps they don't want you to have the whole audio collection for free, and know that people are going to have to purchase the conference in its entirety at a distribution center? I can't imagine any other consistent explanation...but if there is one, I look forward to hearing about it!
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#26

Post by WelchTC »

If I hear an answer, I'll post it.

Tom
papa-hotel-p40
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:13 am
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Missing Priesthood Session

#27

Post by papa-hotel-p40 »

I don't understand why the priesthood session in the general conference is always encrypted? I live in Indonesia enjoy the conference so much, but missing the priesthood session.Anyone can help to explain? :confused:

Thanks.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15138
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#28

Post by aebrown »

papa-hotel wrote:I don't understand why the priesthood session in the general conference is always encrypted? I live in Indonesia enjoy the conference so much, but missing the priesthood session.Anyone can help to explain?
I moved your post to a more appropriate thread. If you will review this thread, you will get your answer (although some of it is speculation, since the Church has never given a definitive explanation for the policy).
papa-hotel-p40
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:13 am
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

#29

Post by papa-hotel-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:I moved your post to a more appropriate thread. If you will review this thread, you will get your answer (although some of it is speculation, since the Church has never given a definitive explanation for the policy).

thanks, brother. greetings from Jakarta...:)
Mr.Intel-p40
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:08 am
Location: Springfield, MO, USA

Not Just the ASL Video

#30

Post by Mr.Intel-p40 »

The April 2008 conference had audio in the ASL video feed. As it was pointed out by the OP, the audio is now missing. Additionally, I have been able to download the Priesthood Session MP3's by direct linking to them (using the fully-qualified links of another MP3 and changing the name according to the session number and speaker name). For the October Conference, these are also no longer available, or they have changed the format of the file names.

It seems to me that it is more than just an omission of the audio in the ASL, they have made a deliberate effort to restrict access to the Priesthood Session online. It remains to be seen if this will spill over to the DVD version, which is my last point of access to the Priesthood audio.

Finally, the music is now available as a separate download! I was very pleased to see this, as I create music CD's for my commute along with CD's of various conference talks. However, the Priesthood Session music is not included, which means I'll have to extract the audio from the DVD for the music as well as the talks.

Having a reason for this change would be very helpful to those of us who like to enjoy the words of the prophets in other venues than our homes or chapels.

--Michael
Post Reply

Return to “Main Church Website”