nFS scrollbar does not work

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan Wambold wrote:I am using Firefox 3.0.1 with a Windows XP operating system. All of the scroll-bars on the summary screen for Obadiah Holmes (KNWX-MVV) worked fine except for the one for the burial event. The bottom of this one disappeared behind the footer of the summary screen. I was able to work the scroll-bar but could not see it. This is the kind of thing that will be very disconcerting to nFS users who are not very tech-savvy. I used Camtasia to capture a video of the scroll bar acting up, but had problems attaching the swf file to this post so those who would like to can view it at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mecchina/flash/holmestest.html
PS: I was using a mouse, not a touch pad.
Excellent sleuthing! The captured video shows exactly what is happening, and should be very helpful in tracking down the problem.

If this is indeed what scion reported (could you please confirm this, scion? It would be quite helpful), then it may not be related to a particular browser as I initially suspected, but rather the essential issue would be with an entry showing up at a particular place in the browser window.
garysturn

nFS display problems in Firefox3

Post by garysturn »

I have noted some other problems with FireFox. Some of the Icons are displayed behind the box that they should be in front of and there is a missing Icon.

See Example below.

Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

I've used laptops with touchpads for most of the last decade at home. For the last five years at work I've used a laptop exclusively with the touchpad. Some work laptops had that little blue thing sticking up in the keyboard (I can't recall the name of it.). I haven't owned a mouse in quite awhile.

The video link is good, but is different from my experience. As I use the touchpad to move to the scrollbar area, the scrollbar & dropbox vanishes. Therefore, I cannot scroll at all.

Also, the temple icons are where they belong and the dropbox is visible (I just cannot scroll).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

scion wrote:As I use the touchpad to move to the scrollbar area, the scrollbar & dropbox vanishes. Therefore, I cannot scroll at all.
"Clicks" on touchpads can be very sensitive; is it possible that there is a click going on as you are using the touchpad to move the mouse into the scroll bar area?

Maybe someone with a mouse can try doing some weird clicking to try and duplicate what a touchpad might do?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have a touch pad and I have no issues under IE7. There are a few things I've observed.

When I move my cursor into the box, the little down arrow icon disappears, the icon in the tab for FamilySearch changes to a "circle" showing that it's thinking, and when it stops I see a larger down arrow icon in the box. Moving in or out of the box causes the computer to "think" and the down arrow changes.

It doesn't seem to make much difference if I click on the larger down arrow, or in the box, the action is the same: a blue scroll area opens up under the box complete with scroll bar.

No amount of clicking IN the box or on the arrow causes anything to change in any of the fields.

I have no problems in navigating the scroll area.
aewold-p40

Post by aewold-p40 »

This problem with the Mozilla Firefox / Netscape browsers has been submitted to the nFS Support Team, and they are working on a fix (if it hasn't been fixed already.)
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

GarysTurn wrote:I have noted some other problems with FireFox. Some of the Icons are displayed behind the box that they should be in front of and there is a missing Icon.
I don't have a touch pad to check those issues, but the problem with the missing icon is still occuring when using FireFox3. IE6 doesn't have this icon issue.

Return to “Family History”