LDS Tools not working after latest update

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
tysonjg

Re: LDS Tools not working after latest update

Post by tysonjg »

As an update:

In my initial post, I stated that the inability to sync/the app crash issue arose after updating to the latest version of LDS Tools. While that statement is accurate, after perusing the app's reviews on Google Play Store, it is evident that this issue has been plaguing users since at least late December. My ammended hypothesis is that the cause of the problem is associated with a change made to the user authorization token (in December?) and that change is not compatible with Android LDS Tools, which in turn causes the crash.

Those whose authorization token needed renewed in December got the updated token first and consequently encountered the crash first, while those us who had a valid token lease were fine with the updates until our token expired and we were renewed with an incompatible token.

I concur with the other users who have suggested this impacts those with leadership callings, likely in connection with access to Ministering assignments for other Ward members.

Anyways, just passing this hypothesis along in hopes it might help the development team pinpoint and resolve this issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tysonjg wrote:after perusing the app's reviews on Google Play Store, it is evident that this issue has been plaguing users since at least late December.
There's been a few changes. The big one was when HT/VT (with lipstick to make it look like Ministering) was shut down in favor of the new Ministering services. LDS Tools prior to 3.5 no longer worked. But 3.5 only ran on newer platforms, shutting out those with older phones.

This problem is different and came about in the past week.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cclawson

Post by cclawson »

Where can I find the beta version while we all wait?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cclawson wrote:Where can I find the beta version while we all wait?
Go to the Google Play Store and search for LDS Tools. Select the current app.

Scroll down until you see a paragraph about becoming a beta tester. Select the link to join. Of course you may select the read more link first, if you wish. It will explain the process and also tell you how to leave the beta at a later date.

The page will update to tell you you are being registered as a beta user and that it will take a few minutes. In my case, it took almost 15 minutes, which I found surprising, but I have never done this before so it may not be that unusual.

After a "few minutes" the top of the page will show you are now a beta user, and the top right box will change to Update. Update. When the box changes to Open, the beta version of the app has installed.

Open the app, and yes, you will have to sign in and sync.

I did all of this late this morning. The sync worked.

Going back to the regular version of the app is not difficult. Go back to the Play Store and read the instructions at LDS Tools.
jmackie6

Post by jmackie6 »

Same problem here and I too have a leadership calling so that very well may be the problem. I will try the beta version as the previous post suggested. I have Android 8.1.0 and it is up to date. I have a Moto G5 Plus and lds tools version 3.5.3. I have cleared the cache, cleared data, and finally reinstalled the app. Still no luck. It Starts to sync and then at the end it says that the app has stopped working or that lds services are unavailable. I have gotten both of these responses but the "app stoppped working" has been more common.
dev88ros

Post by dev88ros »

Same problem. Please help! Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dev88ros wrote:Please help!
The problem seems to have been solved in the beta. For various technical reasons, it is unlikely that the current released version will be fixed.

So it appears you have two choices. Join the beta or be patient and wait for its release to production. Unfortunately, the beta release to production process is a lengthy one.

There may be an estimate of how long it will be sometime tomorrow, but no one will be pleased with the answer. The beta is still being tested. It has to be validated, it has to be released into the Play Store, and there are many other steps I do not even know about.

I do know that they are trying to get it all done as soon as possible. But they need to make sure it is done properly.
MossLeland

Post by MossLeland »

I have been trying for a couple of days to sync LDS Tools, can’t get it to sync on my iPhone 7, my wife has the same issue on her iPhone 7?
cjgough

Post by cjgough »

I can’t seem to get the LDS tools app to work. I’m getting kicked out after signing in. It’s trying to sync and then shuts down. What’s up?
brad.j.savage

Post by brad.j.savage »

I cannot sync LDS Tools (Member Tools), so it won't let me into the app at all. It says "Preparing to Sync" for about a minute, then says "Tools is not available". Anybody else having this issue?

Return to “Android Member Tools App”