"Send a Message" emails with attachments not received by members with certain ISPs

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
michaelpauras

"Send a Message" emails with attachments not received by members with certain ISPs

Post by michaelpauras »

I am adding to this post: we are experiencing problems with the SEND A MESSAGE tool on LCR, when it comes to attachments. First we thought, that it would not deliver the mail to a number of email providers used by the members. Because some would receive the email incl. the attachment, some would not. If we are sending out emails WITHOUT attachment (what ever format: jpg, pdf, docx,...), it will work and everyone receives it. But if we attach any document, picture or so, it would only go through GMAIL, STRATO and HOTMAIL accounts (probably more), but not through to GMX, T-ONLINE (and others).

I have called GSC and they opened a ticket for it: (GSC04353306) - but I have not heard about any progress and have not received an update.

I am not recommending to use the SEND A MESSAGE feature to any of the wards in our stake because of this happening. But this is really sad, as it is meant to be working, but does not.

Thanks,
Michael P. Auras - Munich Germany Stake President.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: "Send a Message" emails with attachments not received by members with certain ISPs

Post by jdlessley »

michaelpauras wrote:I am adding to this post:
Please follow the Code of Conduct and not start a new topic in an existing thread. The preferred procedure is to start new topics in a new thread.

[moderator note: This post was split from another thread with a related but yet different topic.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
smoawad

Re: "Send a Message" emails with attachments not received by members with certain ISPs

Post by smoawad »

Hello,

We are having the same issue in our units. Has anyone found a resultion to this.

Thank you,

Sherif
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Just sent a test message to myself with an attachment and it worked fine..... It might not work with a message to the whole ward, so I will send an attachment with my next newsletter to test it.....
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I am not a programmer or Tech expert, but I suspect this problem is not on the church's side of the message. I suspect the attachment is being blocked by the email providers of the recipients. It may be due to the fact that the Send A Message tool spoofs the sender. We have seen problems with members in our ward who have SBCGlobal email accounts that are administered by Yahoo (which appears to block all spoofed emails as spam). In our case, when the members changed to a different email provider, their problems receiving messages were resolved.

While Wikipedia is not an authoritative source, one might review this article (especially the paragraph on legitimate use). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing
trippelth

Post by trippelth »

Any news on this issue? It has been reported long ago, still no change; @davesudweeks is probably correct that this is caused on the Mail Transfer Agent's (MTA) side, i. e. the server of the email provider; probably many US email providers whitelist the church, but non US-providers do not apparently. Hence it would be good to work on that or to remove the attachment option, as it does not reliably do what it is supposed to do.
jacki.quinton

Post by jacki.quinton »

I am having the same issue with email with attachments not being received by only a certain email provider. They can get letters without attachments. They can get the email with attachments if I forward it to them from a personal email.
They can get emails with links to things like zoom or youtube.
They don't show up in the spam folder.
Any ideas yet?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacki.quinton wrote:Any ideas yet?
I'd suggest the users contact their email provider.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”