Sealing to Deceased Parents

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
Mottzzz

Sealing to Deceased Parents

Post by Mottzzz »

So my bishop gave me a question last night. Not sure if this is the right place to ask but seemed close enough.

We have a brother that wants to be sealed to his deceased parents next weekend while they're out in California. (We're in Virginia.) Redlands temple workers told the brother and his wife that they need a recommend and also suggested that my bishop contact their daughter's bishop. Is there a form that we need to fill out for this? Or does my bishop just need to make a phone call?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sealing to Deceased Parents

Post by russellhltn »

The member in question is going to have to have a current recommend to enter the temple.

If they were to be sealed to living parents, I think there's an additional form required, but I don't think that's the case for deceased parents. I think they just have to show up with a group sheet showing them as a child to those parents. However, I'd double-check with the temple. I'm not finding anything in Handbook 1.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mottzzz

Post by Mottzzz »

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The FamilySearch Help Center is a great resource for such questions. See Sealings to deceased family members (you have to be signed in to FamilySearch.org to see help articles related to the temple).
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

aebrown wrote:The FamilySearch Help Center is a great resource for such questions. See Sealings to deceased family members (you have to be signed in to FamilySearch.org to see help articles related to the temple).
Very helpful and informative! When I was sealed to my deceased parents, I printed a Family Group Record showing my relationship to my parents, and the temple office staff annotated it for their records. I had heard a rumor that the policy had changed, and that all such sealings now require a Recommend for Living Ordinances. But I see now that is not true.

Thanks
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Family History”