Child Youth Protection Training -- Linked Membership Number

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
sorens

Child Youth Protection Training -- Linked Membership Number

Post by sorens »

We've had a couple of members report problems completing the child and youth protection online training. They say they get a message saying the training can't be recorded because their membership number isn't linked to their online church account. Unfortunately we don't have any screenshots of the error message. Does anyone know how we fix this?
davesudweeks

Re: Child Youth Protection Training -- Linked Membership Number

Post by davesudweeks »

I would guess their church account does not have their membership number recorded on it (so the software doesn't know they are a member of the church and cannot link the training to their membership record).

To fix this they need to get their membership number (best place is to request a copy of their "Individual Ordinance Summary" or IOS from the clerk). Then when they log in to the church web site, click on their name in the upper right corner and "Account Settings" under "My Account." Then click the "Membership" link on the left side and enter their membership number from their IOS. (If I recall the steps correctly and they have not changed in recent months)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I would guess their church account does not have their membership number recorded on it
A number of people were reporting that problem who did have their information on their account.

The first thing I'd ask is if they have access to Member Tools, the Directory on churchofjesuschrist.org, or any other "member only" areas. If so, then clearly their account is OK.

If the account is OK, I'd have them try again. The problem may be fixed. If not, then I'd call support and ask them what the next step is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:A number of people were reporting that problem who did have their information on their account.
We had some of those as well, but the issues were fixed a couple of months ago. I [erroneously] assumed this was after the fix and the fix took care of it for everyone. You are correct that that may not be the case...
sportstats

Post by sportstats »

Is there a way to show the training to a group and record who attended some way? We have several older members that look at me strangely when I tell them to log in to their account and watch the training.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

sportstats wrote:Is there a way to show the training to a group and record who attended some way? We have several older members that look at me strangely when I tell them to log in to their account and watch the training.
I have not found a way to do that. We have some members in our ward who can not or will not take online training. It would be a shame to have to release them from callings with youth just because technology has passed them by... I have offered several times to assist members in taking the training with the clerk computer at the church (some don't own a computer or a smart phone and likely don't have a church account) but have had no takers so far.

Members have to answer questions as part of the training, but it would be simple enough to set this up as an instructor-led training with a quiz. You might want to post feedback on the church site - the decision makers do not visit here.
kkarlins

Post by kkarlins »

I have submitted this concern through the main website as it is also a significant issue in our ward. We have also contacted stake leaders to see if they can get anything to happen from their end. Some of these older members have attempted to make Church accounts in the past but can no longer remember the email address associated with the account or have been locked out of their email, preventing any ability to recover their account. Like the poster mentioned above, we have resorted to re-opening the training on our own accounts, having these members sit through the training, and then keeping paper records of their completion of the training.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

keatonator wrote:Some of these older members have attempted to make Church accounts in the past but can no longer remember the email address associated with the account or have been locked out of their email, preventing any ability to recover their account.
Since you're the ward clerk, you're in a perfect position to address this. I would compile a list of all of the members who appear to have accounts that they can no longer access and then call the Global Service Center and ask them for assistance.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

But the last time I made a call like that, the GSC just told me to tell the member to call the GSC directly.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:But the last time I made a call like that, the GSC just told me to tell the member to call the GSC directly.
Understandable from a security standpoint. The church is probably wanting to make sure it's the account holder they're talking to.

Since clerks don't receive security training, who knows if they're getting "social engineered"?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”