Request: Member email preference management from LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
heydenrychrhyno

Re: Request: Member email preference management from LCR

Post by heydenrychrhyno »

Its 2019 - - just wondering if there is any feedback on this ? If the option has been created.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

heydenrychrhyno wrote:Its 2019 - - just wondering if there is any feedback on this ? If the option has been created.
No. It hasn't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wlehmitz

Post by wlehmitz »

Given that we are using the Send Message feature more often now due to the corona virus pandemic as a means to quickly communicate with our ward members and provide important announcement and information, this seems like a very relevant feature. We have received requests from members, mostly from less or not activemembers, that would like to be removed from the emailing list. But aside from deleting their email address altogether from the system, there doesn't seem like a good way to do this. Deleting their email altogether seems harmful to emergency preparedness coordination efforts, and is also subject to failure through a reintroduction loop as mentioned earlier in this thread.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wlehmitz wrote:But aside from deleting their email address altogether from the system, there doesn't seem like a good way to do this.
In another thread discussing a similar topic this poster recommended a work-around. It was to prepend "no_mass_emails_" to an email address. The system would identify the email address as not valid and the message would bounce. Individual email messages could be sent by removing the prepended text to restore the valid email address.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I think there may be two different categories of "user complaints". One is "I don't want emails from you guys", the second is "You guys are sending too many emails and it's bothering me". Any member can log onto their church account and delete their email address if they don't want to be contacted via email. But if they're bothered because of the quantity of emails, that's another issue. Leaders would then have to ascertain whether they are using this "too much". And if they think it's an okay amount, decide if they want to maintain a separate editable email list instead of mass-emailing via LCR (yes, a pain), or work with the member to alleviate the pain. Most modern email accounts can auto-filter messages into folders, or such.

Not saying the Church couldn't/shouldn't provide better functionality, but also realizing members have means to lessen this issue if they really want. And even when the Church provides less options for doing so than we like, members still can find ways to control what's in their Inbox.
andersencl

Post by andersencl »

I am just a regular member, but with the volume of local ward/stake emails I am getting recently it is getting super annoying. I would REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE TO NOT RECEIVE ANYMORE EMAILS.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You will have to take that up with your ward leadership and your stake leadership. This forum is user-to-user support and nobody here can do anything about it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:In another thread discussing a similar topic this poster recommended a work-around. It was to prepend "no_mass_emails_" to an email address. The system would identify the email address as not valid and the message would bounce. Individual email messages could be sent by removing the prepended text to restore the valid email address.
I think it's worth pointing out that modifying the email like that will interfere with all automated emails, including from the donation system and emails from church headquarters. As such, it's not viable for any members with any level of activity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My opinion: when generating the message via the Send A Message tool, the person sending the message has the option to select who will receive the emails. Individuals really need to make their wishes known to their local leaders because it is too easy to be lazy and click the "Send All" button. After selecting "Send All" leaders then have the option to individually deselect anyone who wishes no emails.

This puts the responsibility for being sensitive to the individual member's wishes on the local leader's shoulders, where it rightly belongs. Until such time as the coordinating councils of the church feel email preference management is worth programming time, I see no other way around reaching out to members using this tool while respecting the privacy requests of other members.
marcel1989

Post by marcel1989 »

Hello there,

As of February 2021, this is still an issue. members CANNOT unsubscribe from emails sent from ward leaders. Nuking the email from the member's profile seems to be the only way.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”