Mi Box S beta program

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mi Box S beta program

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I thought they were locked down in the beta program so that you could only stream a stake conference.
Yes. :mrgreen:

But it wasn't intended to be locked down permanently. And in this case, I'm trying to use it for a regional webcast that appears to be using Brightcove, not Azure. I've had one such broadcast last month and two more are scheduled in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully they'll be on the satellite as well as that's far easier for me. But for some reason the only thing being communicated is the web link. :(

Maybe someone with experience in Android TV can chime in with suggestions. Evidently, it's not "just Android" like you find on a phone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'm trying to use it for a regional webcast that appears to be using Brightcove, not Azure. I've had one such broadcast last month and two more are scheduled in the next couple of weeks.
Perhaps since the regional folks are not playing by the rues, a call into the beta test office would result in the code to break out of the beta and try again.

Or have you already done that and are now having this new problem?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Or have you already done that and are now having this new problem?
Correct. The beta app only works with the system provided to the stakes (Azure). It doesn't work with the system used by the church's Publishing Services Department who works with the local tech folks doing "high profile" webcasts. (Such as members of the church presidency doing regional webcasts.)

In a email conversation I had with the product manager, it was indicated that we could load a web browser on the device for things like General Conference. However, I'm finding that to be more challenging than expected.

I believe the device is excellent for stake webcasts, but at the moment, it doesn't appear to terribly usable for other church broadcasts. Something I hope will be addressed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

After we tested them they provided the unlock code. The test was just receiving from a remote location, so that was a pretty quick test. I think the goal of testing was to try it in a bunch of different environments.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I got it because I asked. I'm not sure when they were planning on sending it out in our round.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Has there been any mention of how soon they plan to roll it out to more locations? We could still use it for our stake conference webcasts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Has there been any mention of how soon they plan to roll it out to more locations?
No. Nor have I heard how the roll-out is planned - if this will be something we get from the church or if we buy it on our own and install the app.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:I'm finding what appears to be the weak point - trying to get the church's web pages to play on it. So far, I've tried 3 different web browsers. None of them are doing the job.
I suggest giving the Puffin browser a try. Works with church websites and SSO. Not sure about Brightcove, but YouTube works well through it, including unlisted videos. Makes using the Mi Box S as a streaming receiver for a YouTube Live webcast a bit closer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I suggest giving the Puffin browser a try.
It dies trying to start.

I am able to ping Puffin's servers from the meetinghouse, so I'm not sure what's going on. I guess I need to find a file browser to open the log file.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:It dies trying to start.
Interesting. Haven't tried it behind a church firewall, just at home.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”