What is the 'Gospel Living' app? Where is it available?

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
JaneRogger

Re: What is the 'Gospel Living' app? Where is it available?

Post by JaneRogger »

This app might not be available for amazon kindle. I am not sure though.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

trevorh wrote:Of course it's not required, but my kids already feel like they're the only ones in the world without a phone, and not having it available on safer devices won't help with that.
You might be able to extract the APK file from an Android phone and side load it on to the Kindle fire tablet.

Off topic... I use a program called dinner time plus and have my 11 year olds phone locked down tight. I needed to make the app so it's not battery optimized so the app stays on all the time. I've been very happy with it. I lock down the settings also.

My 16 year old also likes have time settings on some of her apps.

Maybe you could find Android phones for them and lock them down?
danmec

Post by danmec »

The news release in July indicated that gospel living app would be available in the "fall," but I can't find it? When will it be released?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It won't be available until mid year, don't count on it as a resource until then.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jokamura

Post by jokamura »

johnshaw wrote:It won't be available until mid year, don't count on it as a resource until then.
Where did you read/hear this?
"Accept what you can't change, and change what you can't accept, but know the difference between the two."
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

According to the Face to Face broadcast with Elder Gong, the first version of the app will be available for download in January. I have seen nothing to indicate a different schedule.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

jokamura wrote:
johnshaw wrote:It won't be available until mid year, don't count on it as a resource until then.
Where did you read/hear this?
In the first of the year, there will be a 'regionalized beta' meaning that after this initial alpha with the pilot stakes, additional stakes in multiple regions will go through beta. While that happens there will be code updates and fixes, etc, particularly in multiple languages - anything involving multiple languages at CHQ requires considerable time for translation and correlation to approve, etc. And, then there is the big, super, unique General Conference coming up in April that ALWAYS requires ChurchIT resources in the P. Nelson era. If you consider all of these things, the idea that it will be available 'first of the year' is a hard target. Take that and with the last 10-15 years of watching dev at the church, it's not hard to predict it won't be available church-wide when everyone is assuming.

Some of us do extensive testing and QA for the mobile apps and there is a reason they don't publish dates. There is a reason that ChurchIT doesn't publish a list of 'new stuff' they are working on. Very early on they would actually publish these things informally on this message board, it was kinda cool knowing when the new calendar was out, being able to request to join the beta with your stake, etc. but too often changes would happen based on prophetic priorities and those dates would get altered, they started to get altered so often that, we as a community, got a little huffy about it, unfortunately we kinda did this to ourselves in a way, by giving the devs a bunch of grief when they didn't hit targets, etc. Granted, there were times when I drove 150 miles to a building to fix something the church said was going to be available to me only to have it delayed... it could get aggravating, I understand that, but we've settled in at this point.

We get what we get and we don't throw a fit anymore.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote:According to the Face to Face broadcast with Elder Gong, the first version of the app will be available for download in January. I have seen nothing to indicate a different schedule.
I could be wrong, but I though he said it would be available "after the first of the year" which wouldn't necessarily mean January. But even if he did, we need to be patient and be ready for it when it is released.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

davesudweeks wrote:
lajackson wrote:According to the Face to Face broadcast with Elder Gong, the first version of the app will be available for download in January. I have seen nothing to indicate a different schedule.
I could be wrong, but I thought he said it would be available "after the first of the year" which wouldn't necessarily mean January. But even if he did, we need to be patient and be ready for it when it is released.
I was just looking back over the official communication about Children and Youth docs from the letters.churchofjesuschrist.org library and it was striking how specific the wording was communicated to leaders across the globe, it never said the beginning of 2020, it never said January 1, 2020, it just said available in 2020 - available in 2020. Regardless of what was said/inferred in the get-read-for-the-program presentations, there is no expectation to have it available on Jan 1, 2020

We can't even get the swag on Jan 1, 2020... why would we think an app would be ready on Jan 1, 2020
trevorh

Post by trevorh »

EarloftheWest wrote:
trevorh wrote:Of course it's not required, but my kids already feel like they're the only ones in the world without a phone, and not having it available on safer devices won't help with that.
You might be able to extract the APK file from an Android phone and side load it on to the Kindle fire tablet.
Yeah, I've done that with several apps. It works as long as none of the Google services are required.

But we got our teenagers Chromebooks for Christmas, and it appears that most(?) Android apps work on them, so we may have taken care of any potential problems here.

Return to “Gospel Living App”