Scout Fundraiser Remaining Balances

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Stephenmichaelcook

Scout Fundraiser Remaining Balances

Post by Stephenmichaelcook »

Is there an official process for emptying the remaining balance of the "Other" account that was specifically for Scout Fundraisers?
The funds were raised for the express purpose of supporting the Scouts - it seems like it would need to be rolled into newly-formed scout troops, or some such... for them to be "used for their intended purposes", as the auditor likes to remind us.
davesudweeks

Re: Scout Fundraiser Remaining Balances

Post by davesudweeks »

My opinion: The "Other" account is not a "Scout" account. It is a "Member-financed" account for youth activities. Until Jan 1, 2020, the youth program for the YM is scouting. After Jan 1, 2020 the youth program for YM is not scouting but still includes high adventure and other activities that require funds. The funds were raised for the express purpose of supporting the Young Men Activity program (which was scouting but no longer is). The fact that the church changed the program doesn't mean the funds provided for the youth activities in your ward need to be handed over to a local scout troop. If you feel uncomfortable using the Other: Member-financed funds for the youth program in 2020, you could always give the money back to the original donors and they can provide it to the local community troops if they chose to do that.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Stephenmichaelcook wrote:Is there an official process for emptying the remaining balance of the "Other" account that was specifically for Scout Fundraisers?
Titling an Other:AMFA subcategory Scout Fundraisers does not properly describe the purpose of the category. Fund-raisers can only be used in accordance with Handbook 2, 13.6.8, Fund-Raising Activities, and as further explained in sections 13.2.8 and 13.2.9. A more appropriate title would have been something like "Scout Summer Camp", as that adequately describes the purpose and proper use of the funds. Of course that assumes the fund-raiser was conducted in accordance with the Handbook.

As specified in Handbook 2, 13.6.8 as well as 13.2.8 and 13.2.9, the funds can only be used for the one annual camp or for camp equipment. If not used for the intended purpose then the first option is to return the funds to the donors, if at all possible. And lastly the funds would be sent to the Corporation of the President if the funds could not be used as intended and could not be returned to the donors.
Stephenmichaelcook wrote:The funds were raised for the express purpose of supporting the Scouts
That purpose as stated is not in accordance with Handbook instructions. The scope is too general and encompasses more that what is permitted. The one annual camp and camp equipment supports/supported the Scouting program. And the Scouting program supported the activities of the young men program. I am assuming the ward leaders were familiar with the Handbook instructions and the purpose was to support the one annual camp and/or camp equipment. The continued use of an annual camp and camp equipment to support the YM activities is going to continue to be a part of the YM program.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Our fund was named "Scout Camp" but our stake audit committee thought that name was too generic. I renamed it, but I fear the new name is also too generic for the committee's taste. I really wish they had just told us what to call it. Even better, they should have given us some guidance as to what we should do with funds raised to support our scouting troop.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

drepouille wrote:Our fund was named "Scout Camp" but our stake audit committee thought that name was too generic. I renamed it, but I fear the new name is also too generic for the committee's taste. I really wish they had just told us what to call it. Even better, they should have given us some guidance as to what we should do with funds raised to support our scouting troop.
Our account is named 'YM / YW Camp Fundraiser'. (Our ward does a combined fundraiser.) I've never had an auditor complain about it. It seems like the wording in the handbook is trying to get at a point without coming out and saying it. I wonder what they are trying to avoid (like a tax law issue or something?).

I wonder how the FSY contributions from the youth/families will be handled. e..g whether direct with the church or if those contributions will come to the ward and then back out to the church. That seems like it would be a new Other account for tracking.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I think I understand the original intent -- to avoid the appearance of a slush fund. We have had conversations on other threads about the obsession to hold a fundraiser every year with no target, goal, or specific plans for how to spend the funds raised.
Stephenmichaelcook

Post by Stephenmichaelcook »

davesudweeks wrote:My opinion: The "Other" account is not a "Scout" account. It is a "Member-financed" account for youth activities. Until Jan 1, 2020, the youth program for the YM is scouting. After Jan 1, 2020 the youth program for YM is not scouting but still includes high adventure and other activities that require funds. The funds were raised for the express purpose of supporting the Young Men Activity program (which was scouting but no longer is). The fact that the church changed the program doesn't mean the funds provided for the youth activities in your ward need to be handed over to a local scout troop. If you feel uncomfortable using the Other: Member-financed funds for the youth program in 2020, you could always give the money back to the original donors and they can provide it to the local community troops if they chose to do that.
You make a good point. But when we do the Scout Dinner & Auction, it is all about the _scouts_, not about the church at all. Everything is presented as "This is a Scout Fundraiser". Primarily to pay for camp and awards (which the ward's budget is nowhere close to being able to provide for. We have many community members that donate items and cash _to the scouts_, not to the church. Contrary to what you said, our "express purpose" was _not_ "supporting the YM Activity Program" (perhaps it should have been?) - it was for the express purpose of supporting the ward's Scouts.

Perhaps it is all in the phrasing. Perhaps all these years, we should have made it clear that donors are donating to the CHURCH, and not to Scouts.

It has been this way in at least three of the wards I've lived in, and we've never had an auditor even bat an eye at it.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Stephenmichaelcook wrote:It has been this way in at least three of the wards I've lived in, and we've never had an auditor even bat an eye at it.
Then it sounds like you should pose your first question at the start of this thread to your Audit Chairman. This is a user-to-user mutual help forum - we all have different experiences and opinions. None of which are the official church position, which comes from your local leadership who can query up-line to the brethren if they don't know the answer.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

Stephenmichaelcook wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:My opinion: The "Other" account is not a "Scout" account. It is a "Member-financed" account for youth activities. Until Jan 1, 2020, the youth program for the YM is scouting. After Jan 1, 2020 the youth program for YM is not scouting but still includes high adventure and other activities that require funds. The funds were raised for the express purpose of supporting the Young Men Activity program (which was scouting but no longer is). The fact that the church changed the program doesn't mean the funds provided for the youth activities in your ward need to be handed over to a local scout troop. If you feel uncomfortable using the Other: Member-financed funds for the youth program in 2020, you could always give the money back to the original donors and they can provide it to the local community troops if they chose to do that.
You make a good point. But when we do the Scout Dinner & Auction, it is all about the _scouts_, not about the church at all. Everything is presented as "This is a Scout Fundraiser". Primarily to pay for camp and awards (which the ward's budget is nowhere close to being able to provide for. We have many community members that donate items and cash _to the scouts_, not to the church. Contrary to what you said, our "express purpose" was _not_ "supporting the YM Activity Program" (perhaps it should have been?) - it was for the express purpose of supporting the ward's Scouts.

Perhaps it is all in the phrasing. Perhaps all these years, we should have made it clear that donors are donating to the CHURCH, and not to Scouts.

It has been this way in at least three of the wards I've lived in, and we've never had an auditor even bat an eye at it.
In my opinion, if it was a donation to the BSA, they would write BSA on the check and the BSA would be cashing the checks (like the Friends of Scouting drive). If they're writing the ward on the check, it's going to the ward.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

We have received multiple messages through MLS over the past several years telling us that we cannot deposit checks written to the BSA, or even to our troop.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”