Mi Box S beta program

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
kmoser82

Re: Mi Box S beta program

Post by kmoser82 »

I have one of these boxes from the beta test. Do i buy my own if i want more and get the app from somewhere are are they purchased through the Church?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

kmoser82 wrote:I have one of these boxes from the beta test. Do i buy my own if i want more and get the app from somewhere are are they purchased through the Church?
We're still waiting to hear how the church plans on rolling it out. They probably would like to avoid having to program each and every box, so my guess is we'll soon be able to buy our own - either from the church store or commercially somewhere - and get the needed program from the app store. I wouldn't buy anything yet until we get the official word.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

We aren’t on this particular beta test, but have been on other beta tests in the past. The devices aren’t always successful, so I wouldn’t spend any money until the box has been proved viable, by the church.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

We haven't heard. Those in the beta just got an email on how to update the system, which includes a factory reset and reinstall of the app. It also indicate the project is out of beta and in production. But nothing has been said about how to get more boxes.

It does indicate that you need Gmail account that can be shared.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:Those in the beta just got an email on how to update the system, which includes a factory reset and reinstall of the app.
Really? I didn't see anything like that.

Playing with the MiBox S just now I was prompted to update it to Android 9.0, so I did. The beta app still worked OK (no surprise). I then went to the app store and lo and behold, a search turned up the "Meetinghouse Webcast" app. I updated the beta app with the newer one and I'm now running Version 1.0.0 (10052.3) which is apparently their first full release. I had to re-register it by entering our stake code, but that was it.

It looks like if a stake wants to jump the release announcement they can buy a MiBox S from Amazon (currently $62.68), or Walmart (currently $59.89) and search/install "Meetinghouse Webcast" from the app store. The only other recommended item would be a USB-to Ethernet dongle. The church sent this Startech USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet dongle with the MiBox to the beta sites, but I'm sure any $10 USB 2.0 to 10/100 Mb dongle would also work perfectly fine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Those in the beta just got an email on how to update the system, which includes a factory reset and reinstall of the app.
Really? I didn't see anything like that.
Landed in my mailbox a bit after noon MST today. It's probably coming.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

pcardelli

Post by pcardelli »

So for a travel case, maybe something like like a BUMB Universal travel cable organizer.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078M ... UTF8&psc=1

I picked a couple sizes up on prime day to test out for organizing adapters for the libraries, but found they can hold external hard drives and likely these small andriod tv players. I just ordered a couple Mi Box S for our Stake Conference coming up this month, and let you know how they fit. I'm pretty sure there are some hard cover versions for those concerned of a little church loving of our technology items.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pcardelli wrote:I just ordered a couple Mi Box S for our Stake Conference coming up this month, and let you know how they fit.
Let us know. It will need to hold:
  • Mi Box S
  • Power Adapter
  • Remote
  • Ethernet dongle
  • Ethernet cable
  • HDMI cable
  • Audio cable

SmithonVI

Post by SmithonVI »

Good Morning. We just received instructions on how to update our Mi Box S. After downloading the update and clicking the "Restart Now" button, the screen went black and there it sits. Anyone have a fix for this problem?
Thanks for your time.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

I had a similar experience, wondered if I had done something wrong, waited a while, swapped the HDMI cable, then finally power cycled it and it came up fine.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”