What is the 'Gospel Living' app? Where is it available?

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
davesudweeks

Re: What is the 'Gospel Living' app? Where is it available?

Post by davesudweeks »

FWIW: When I downloaded it, it did not prompt me to log in with my church account. When I tapped on circles, I think there was a notice that I would need to log in with my church account to use that feature. I went to my profile and added my church account information. It did take a few minutes after that for circles to work but since I'm not involved with children or youth and my children are all in their own households, the circle function is not much use to us. I suppose it might take a bit longer if someone had lots of people in different circles? I'm using the Android version.
grahamf72

Post by grahamf72 »

Looks like a good start.
I’ve sent feedback requesting circles for the adult organisations - adult Sunday school, relief society and elders quorum. With those groups added I think it would have great functionality for all members.

Also requested the ability to create custom circles, for example within extended family. I think my kids would benefit from having circles with their cousins.

I think stake circles would also be a beneficial addition. Particularly for those in small wards and branches where youth activities are often combined with other nearby units to get adequate numbers. If this was available when I was in youth, in the small branch I grew up in, my circles would have consisted of me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:FWIW: When I downloaded it, it did not prompt me to log in with my church account. When I tapped on circles, I think there was a notice that I would need to log in with my church account to use that feature.
That's what I remember. It told me circles was only for members and that I had to sign in to use it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

grahamf72 wrote:Also requested the ability to create custom circles, for example within extended family. I think my kids would benefit from having circles with their cousins.
Due to abuse/liability concerns, I highly doubt if any personal circles will be allowed that can't be verified by the membership records.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Due to abuse/liability concerns, I highly doubt if any personal circles will be allowed that can't be verified by the membership records.
So the non-member friends who are attending youth activities regularly are out? Get baptized or ... ?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:So the non-member friends who are attending youth activities regularly are out? Get baptized or ... ?
If my guess is correct, yes.

As it is now, they're not on the rolls or in the directory. And they don't have access to Member Tools.

It's possibly they might figure a way to expand it, but all circles will have to be monitored by someone "in charge", either a leader in the case of a ward, or by the HoH (and maybe spouse) in the case of family. Otherwise, they're creating a possible avenue for harassment.

Lots of stuff to consider.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:So the non-member friends who are attending youth activities regularly are out? Get baptized or ... ?
If my guess is correct, yes.
And it appears my guess is wrong.

See You Asked, We Listened. Here's What's Coming in Gospel Living.

It will be interesting to see how it's implemented. Leaders will have to be able to identify who has been added to the circle. If I was to try and implement it, the non-member would have to create a Church Account and then give the name to a leader of the circle. But there still needs to be some way to make sure the person being added is who they think they're adding. I'd leery about any ability to add someone after receiving an email request.

mattjo

Post by mattjo »

Does anyone know if circles are available online anywhere? Some of the Primary kids in our ward don’t have phones yet and some have older phones/iPads that aren’t compatible. Some leaders want to start using it, but don’t want those kids to feel left out. If they could get to it through a website, that may work for us until they get their own device. Thanks!
pjeffrey

Post by pjeffrey »

First of all a huge thank you for all the developers and administrators that were able to work through the realization of this great tool. I have already spoken to some bishops youth leaders/advisers and youth and they see this is a great tool to help them be unified in the gospel work they do. We look forward to future improvements in circles and other enhancements. Thanks again!
Bradfordbo

Post by Bradfordbo »

mattjo wrote:Does anyone know if circles are available online anywhere? Some of the Primary kids in our ward don’t have phones yet and some have older phones/iPads that aren’t compatible. Some leaders want to start using it, but don’t want those kids to feel left out. If they could get to it through a website, that may work for us until they get their own device. Thanks!
Yes! A web portal to access the app would be so useful. We have youth who don't have access to a mobile device. It makes the usefulness of circles very limited when, right off the bat, we know a certain number of the youth won't have access. I hope this is in the works.

Return to “Gospel Living App”