Email to Someone No Longer in the Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
clintallen7

Email to Someone No Longer in the Ward

Post by clintallen7 »

We have a family that moved from our ward 5 years ago, and the records where transferred at that time. However, when we send an email to the current members of the ward, they are still receiving the email. I have confirmed that their names are not in the directory, and also searched the ward list for their email address to confirm that their email address didn't get inadvertently added to a different members records.

Has anyone else had this type of problem?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Email to Someone No Longer in the Ward

Post by russellhltn »

I'm wondering if another address is forwarding to them. See if you can get a copy of that email with all the headers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

clintallen7 wrote:We have a family that moved from our ward 5 years ago, and the records where transferred at that time. However, when we send an email to the current members of the ward, they are still receiving the email. I have confirmed that their names are not in the directory, and also searched the ward list for their email address to confirm that their email address didn't get inadvertently added to a different members records.

Just to confirm, are the emails being sent through the LCR 'send a message' tool? They aren't being sent by someone in their personal gmail or using some other non-LCR list?
clintallen7

Post by clintallen7 »

chriswoodut wrote:
clintallen7 wrote:We have a family that moved from our ward 5 years ago, and the records where transferred at that time. However, when we send an email to the current members of the ward, they are still receiving the email. I have confirmed that their names are not in the directory, and also searched the ward list for their email address to confirm that their email address didn't get inadvertently added to a different members records.

Just to confirm, are the emails being sent through the LCR 'send a message' tool? They aren't being sent by someone in their personal gmail or using some other non-LCR list?
That is correct, they are being sent through the LCR tool.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

clintallen7 wrote:
chriswoodut wrote:

That is correct, they are being sent through the LCR tool.
Russel's suggestion is the best bet to figure it out. In gmail, there's an option called "show original". That will show all the email headers which will include the digital trail the email has followed. If they aren't using gmail, they need to figure out how to show the headers and send that data to you.
clintallen7

Post by clintallen7 »

From: Fred B********* <fred**********@gmail.com> (Members email address)
Date: Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: Volunteers Needed: Cleaning the Church on Friday to prepare
for Saturday Funeral
To: <****************@gmail.com> (Elder Quorum Presidents Email Address)

We moved five years ago and can be taken off your mailing list.

Brother and Sister B

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:59 AM Brandon L*** <
noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org> wrote:

> Hi Ward Family,
>
> We are looking for (remainder of the body of the email)
>
> President L***

Above is the detailed original message. Bold comments or asterisks are my edits, but I confirmed that in the email thread it was sent through the church site, and appears to go from the noreply email address, then a direct response without any forwarding.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

clintallen7 wrote:...
Above is the detailed original message. Bold comments or asterisks are my edits, but I confirmed that in the email thread it was sent through the church site, and appears to go from the noreply email address, then a direct response without any forwarding.
This is a user-to-user discussion forum. Nobody here can take you off any mailing list or email notifications. However, here are a couple of steps you can take to hopefully solve the problem:

Step 1) If your membership records are still in the old ward, please contact the ward clerk or membership clerk in either your old or new ward. To find out which ward your records are in, go to the Directory web app here: https://directory.churchofjesuschrist.org/82929 To find your new ward, please use the Meetinghouse Locator resource here:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/map ... /?lang=eng

Step 2) If/when your membership records are in your new ward, go to the calendar web app here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... 1&lang=eng For reasons I don't understand, your email notification subscriptions are not updated when your membership record moves but only after you have visited the calendar following a move.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

rmrichesjr wrote:
clintallen7 wrote:...
This is a user-to-user discussion forum. Nobody here can take you off any mailing list or email notifications. However, here are a couple of steps you can take to hopefully solve the problem:

Step 1) If your membership records are still in the old ward, please contact the ward clerk or membership clerk in either your old or new ward. To find out which ward your records are in, go to the Directory web app here: https://directory.churchofjesuschrist.org/82929 To find your new ward, please use the Meetinghouse Locator resource here:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/map ... /?lang=eng

Step 2) If/when your membership records are in your new ward, go to the calendar web app here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... 1&lang=eng For reasons I don't understand, your email notification subscriptions are not updated when your membership record moves but only after you have visited the calendar following a move.
I think this was an example from earlier in this thread. The OP is trying to understand how the Send A Message tool can be sending messages to ward members who are no longer in the ward. My suggestion would be to review the email addresses from the send a message tool before sending a message to see if they show up - if they do then their record is still in the ward (or their email address has been added to another member's record in the ward). If they don't, there is something else going on and perhaps it is time to get the Global Service Department involved to assist.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

clintallen7 wrote:Above is the detailed original message. Bold comments or asterisks are my edits, but I confirmed that in the email thread it was sent through the church site, and appears to go from the noreply email address, then a direct response without any forwarding.
We can assume that for now, but it could still be forwarding in a way that preserves the "from". Only a look at the header that person receives would tell use for sure.

But for now, I would check for their email - or something very similar in the list. As I recall, gmail ignores periods. So, First.Name@gmail.com is the same as FirstName@gmail.com.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Try asking the member to go to the main church website and sign in to the Calendar. Have them look at the Subscriptions area, then move on with their life.

There is nothing further to do, but rmrichesjr is correct that this has been known to solve the problem in many cases. I am personally aware of three cases where it worked. Simply going there seems to cause a trigger that updates the system correctly.

After that, it would be off to the GSD.

Return to “Membership Help”