Highlighted text from scripture study not showing up in Notes?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
tomachock

Highlighted text from scripture study not showing up in Notes?

Post by tomachock »

Sorry if this is the same issue as discussed elsewhere in the forum, seem like this is a little bit different than the other issues I've read about.

The way I had gotten used to doing study, annotation, and journaling the scriptures was 1) I would read on my mobile (Android), highlighting the text I wanted to come back to later, and then 2) log in to the website later on my laptop (Chromebook) and type my notes that way.

For some reason I can't do that anymore; I can highlight the text I'm studying on my phone, and I can even tag and add notes on my phone (which is not as quick to type on), and I can see those notes fine on my phone.

But when I log in to my notes on the website, 1) the link to "Study Tools" take me to the Gospel Topics site, so I can't access my Notes there, so I go to the scriptures and click on the "Notes" icon in the upper right corner, which takes me to my notes, but then 2) I can't see the actual text I highlighted anymore. Like, I see blank entries indicating I highlighted text on my phone, but the text I highlighted doesn't show up anymore like it used to. I can see tags, I can see titles or text I wrote if I entered something on my phone, but I can't see the portion of scripture or talk I highlighted anymore like I used to be able to.

This is making it so if I want to annotate I HAVE to do it on my phone, and then going back later on the website is pointless because I can't read the text I highlighted.

This change happened recently, maybe back in December of 2019?

I guess if I have to continue just annotating on my phone, I can, I just won't go as deep because I prefer to type on a keyboard instead of using "swype" because I'm always fixing autocorrect errors, etc.

Please advise.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Highlighted text from scripture study not showing up in Notes?

Post by sbradshaw »

It might be worth sending feedback at the bottom of the online study pages.

If you have a newer Chromebook, you could install Gospel Library from the Play Store to run on your Chromebook!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
tomachock

Post by tomachock »

hmm...didn't think of that. good idea.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Is this still a problem for you? I remember a time recently when I went to Notes on the website that it wasn't showing me the text that I had highlighted; however it's working for me now.
tomachock

Post by tomachock »

yeah, if I go to Notes on the website it still doesn't show the text I highlighted.

but sbradshaw's suggested workaround has been working for me, so I guess I'm fine for now, heh heh. Thanks.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I'm glad sbradshaw's workaround is working for you, but if you haven't, please also submit feedback so the decision makers can be aware of the issue. They'll probably tell you to do the standard stuff like clearing your browser cache. If you haven't done that yet, do it and see if your text appears. And then when you submit feedback, you can tell them you've already cleared your browser cache and still have the problem (if that's the case).
tomachock

Post by tomachock »

so I just checked again, the web based notes thing is still not showing me the scriptures I highlighted on my mobile device. so I continue using the workaround. which is working great still!

by feedback, do you mean to submit feedback here or somewhere else?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tomachock wrote:by feedback, do you mean to submit feedback here or somewhere else?
There is a feedback link at the bottom of the web page. The forum is primarily user-to-user support and discussions and not an official feedback reporting channel. Decision makers are not likely to visit the forums.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

I recently realized that the highlighted text wasn't appearing when I looked at Notes in the web browser. As I had previously reported in this thread, it was working again for me. I sometimes use different web browsers. I realized that I saw the highlighted text in one browser and not in another. I cleared the browsing data in the browser where the highlighted text didn't appear, logged in again, and I saw that the previously-missing highlighted text had returned. So...clear your browser cache and see if it appears.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”