Third-Party Donations

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
jbown

Third-Party Donations

Post by jbown »

I am not able to view the donation made directly to the church (via my financial adviser) either under Donation History or Donor Statements. The donation in question was made in November 2019. This would be considered a 'Third-Party Donation.
The HELP section states:
Third-Party Donations
You will be able to see all of the other donations that you have made through a third-party. You will be able to select date ranges and see specific categories such as donated fast offerings.
Any ideas?
eblood66

Re: Third-Party Donations

Post by eblood66 »

Was it a qualified charitable distribution from an IRA? If so, then it doesn't show up in the donation history. Instead you should have received a separate "Agency Donation Acknowledgement Letter" from church headquarters which gives the amount and allocations. I don't know the specific reason why this kind of donation is treated differently but it may because it has different tax consequences (i.e. it is pre-tax and therefore can't be claimed as an itemized charitable deduction).
jbown

Post by jbown »

Thank you for this information. It was indeed a qualified charitable deduction from an IRA. I have also not received a separate Agency Donation Acknowledgement Letter from church headquarters.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

My mother made a similar distribution at the beginning of November. Her letter was dated Dec 5th so if you haven't received the acknowledgement you may want to contact Treasury Services to make sure it got credited correctly. Information on how to contact them is found on this page: https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/gift- ... ts/ira-qcd
jbown

Post by jbown »

Thank you. It has now been corrected. After my financial adviser called treasury services for the third time they were able to correct the problem. The problem was that they had used my correct MRN but mixed up the spelling of my name. After they made the correction I was immediately able to see the donation on the churchofjesuschrist.org website under 'third party donations'. Also a .pdf arrived in my email which was the Agency Donation Acknowledgement Letter.
cltp

Post by cltp »

How do I pay tithing through a qualified charitable donation from an IRA? I can't find any instructions to give to my financial advisor.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cltp wrote:How do I pay tithing through a qualified charitable donation from an IRA? I can't find any instructions to give to my financial advisor.
See the page IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jbown

Post by jbown »

Most financial advisors know how to do this. It's a common thing to make donations to a charity (church or otherwise) directly from an IRA.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I learned from personal experience this process can take 2 weeks or more, so if you're looking for a tax benefit for this year, you might want to start the process soon.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”