How many receiving sites can we have?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

How many receiving sites can we have?

Post by craiggsmith »

Is there a limit to the number of receiving sites we can have?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How many receiving sites can we have?

Post by russellhltn »

In the scheduling app, the "large event" switch says to use it if you expect between 75-200 sites.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

What if you expect 750 to 1,000? What if the members are told to stay home from stake conference and watch the webcast?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks, I thought there was something like that, but I wasn't in a position to set up an event to see. Now I see that when you hover over it, but the guide simply says more than 75 sites. I'm not sure why my stake president is asking but I suspect it might be for the reason that lajackson mentioned.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:What if you expect 750 to 1,000?
Unless someone says something different, I'd suggest you look into a different solution.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

A number of units have been having virtual meetings lately, I thought I heard of a stake conference as well. I should know what technology they are using but don’t, but I would think the number of units broadcasting would be the main issue, not the number of receiving sites.
Last edited by craiggsmith on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:but I would think the number of units broadcasting would be the main issue, not the number of reviving sites.
I don't think so. I think what happens is that the church spins up a server in Microsoft's cloud for each meeting. We'd have to use up the whole Azure system to tax the number of sending sites.

The problem with streaming, is unlike radio broadcasting, each receiving site requires it's own stream. Each server has some kind of bandwidth limit that limits how many streams it can support.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

That’s why I said the number of units streaming would be an issue, although an inside contact says only 200, so I guess it is a separate stream for each receiving location. I guess it’s not the same method as general conference.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If you're concerned about capacity, I suggest using YouTube Live. It has unbelievable capacity and will spin up more servers automatically on demand. You can use your existing Teradek box for encoding. Hard to beat for free.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I guess it’s not the same method as general conference.
Method, yes. System, no. It's probably a combination of YouTube and Brightcove.

Interestingly, Brightcove's main page says "Brightcove is now offering 50 free hours of HD Live for 90 days to support our business community and help you avoid disruptions.*"

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”