Note content not all saved

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mstauff

Note content not all saved

Post by mstauff »

Has anyone else experienced data loss with their notes in the last couple of days? When I logged on this morning, I was reviewing some notes from yesterday and I noticed that one of my notes was missing a quote I added yesterday. The part where I added the reference was there, but there was no quote. I originally chalked it up to user error, added the quote back in and it saved fine.

When I went to update a quote in another note later this morning, once I had the quote all entered I copied it off to a text document, just in case something happened, and then I reloaded the note from the server. The note was significantly truncated, and not just at the end of the note.

Here's the content of the note that I saved to a text file (and what should have been saved - the part that is bolded is what I added today, the rest of it was already in notes):
Lineage (parents) won't save you. Jews were relying on Abrahamic lineage for salvation rather than individual testimony and obedience.
AOF 2, and also 12a footnote, children of covenant must repent (live the gospel) for salvation
Douglas Callister, Knowing that we Know, 10/07
"The testimony of others may initiate and nourish the desire for faith and testimony, but eventually every individual must find out for himself. None can permanently endure on borrowed light.
The restored gospel is not truer today than when a solitary boy walked out of the Sacred Grove in 1820. Truth has never been dependent on the number who embrace it. When Joseph left the grove, there was only one man on earth who knew the truth about God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. It is necessary, however, that each find out for himself and carry that burning testimony into the next life. ...
It is a grand thing to know—and to know that you know and that the light has not been borrowed from another. ...
If you want to know that you know that you know, a price must be paid. And you alone must pay that price. There are proxies for ordinances, but none for the acquisition of a testimony."
Heber C. Kimball (Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball, 3d. ed., Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1945, pp. 449–50.)
“Let me say to you, that many of you will see the time when you will have all the trouble, trial and persecution that you can stand, and plenty of opportunities to show that you are true to God and his work. This Church has before it many close places through which it will have to pass before the work of God is crowned with victory. To meet the difficulties that are coming, it will be necessary for you to have a knowledge of the truth of this work for yourselves. The difficulties will be of such a character that the man or woman who does not possess this personal knowledge or witness will fall. ...
“The time will come when no man nor woman will be able to endure on borrowed light. Each will have to be guided by the light within himself. If you do not have it, how can you stand?”
Now if I go back in and look at the note (refresh the page, whatever), here's what I see:
Lineage (parents) won't save you. Jews were relying on Abrahamic lineage for salvation rather than individual testimony and obedience.
If you want to know that you know that you know, a price must be paid. And you alone must pay that price. There are proxies for ordinances, but none for the acquisition of a testimony."
So it's not just the part that was added new, and not that something is being cut off for being too long. Very disconcerting as a user. I've reported via feedback link (but it's the feedback link in the footer, there's not a specific feedback within the app, and I know that kind of feedback can take a while to make its way to anyone that can investigate), so I wanted to post here to see if anyone else is seeing the same thing, and in hopes that if it's a system issue it can be seen by those who can act more quickly.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Note content not all saved

Post by sbradshaw »

Were you editing the note at Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, or in content under Study.ChurchofJesusChrist.org?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

mstauff

Post by mstauff »

So I don't know quite the exact steps to reproduce it, but I was able to trigger the same issue again today. I created a test note with some numbered lines and then started making some edits. I took screenshots after each series of edits and then reloaded the note to compare, and in one case it was missing a numbered line that was in the last edit, but not in the reloaded note.

I think it's related to some of the changes that have happened recently around how notes is handling blank lines or newline characters. I've noticed in my notes that all the places where I had a single blank line (as a paragraph break), when I view in notes it shows up as multiple blank lines (IIRC they're adding extra div tags or something). Whenever I edit a note, my inner OCD kicks in and I want to make sure that the extra space that's displaying doesn't get saved in the note, so I usually delete the extra space. So in deleting some of those spaces something isn't jiving between what the user sees and what the server saves. I haven't looked at the actual server calls in dev tools, but I can recreate it now by adding then editing those extra spaces.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I've recently started experiencing these kinds of problems with Notes, including content that isn't saved, even if you see the green check mark in the upper-right corner and newline issues.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”