Membership maps

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
User avatar
goldcntry-p40
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Sacramento

#41

Post by goldcntry-p40 »

Wow... Ask and ye shall receive indeed! I think I just blew a synapsis, only in a good way :^) Now to get the creative juices perculating...
zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 1174
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

CSV conversion instructions?

#42

Post by zaneclark »

HELP! Someone posted a great site to get the instructions for converting a csv membership file so it could be loaded on google earth to map the ward. I did this successfully and sent the instructions to my son who also loaded his ward. I want to give these instructions to someone else and I can't find them! I have looked at every mapping post and cannot find the original post.... Anyone know what I am referring to?
RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

#43

Post by RossEvans »

zaneclark wrote:HELP! Someone posted a great site to get the instructions for converting a csv membership file so it could be loaded on google earth to map the ward. I did this successfully and sent the instructions to my son who also loaded his ward. I want to give these instructions to someone else and I can't find them! I have looked at every mapping post and cannot find the original post.... Anyone know what I am referring to?

I suspect you are referring tothis thread. I did not think the method described there was so great because it fails to deal with all the resulting errors, but I recall that you liked it.
zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 1174
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

#44

Post by zaneclark »

boomerbubba wrote:I suspect you are referring tothis thread. I did not think the method described there was so great because it fails to deal with all the resulting errors, but I recall that you liked it.
That's it! Thank you... I know some have reported errors but for me, since I am mostly an end user type and not very tech savvy, it worked fine....
RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

#45

Post by RossEvans »

zaneclark wrote:That's it! Thank you... I know some have reported errors but for me, since I am mostly an end user type and not very tech savvy, it worked fine....

Errors do not affect only "tech-savvy" people, but end-users too! Just because someone doesn't understand errors does not mean the errors do not exist.

That is the nature of the problem I described: The process is deficient because it fails to identify known and potential errors for you. There likely will be errors but they will not be readily apparent by just browsing the output. So you actually do not know that "it worked fine" at all, only that the process produced output that looks good and is mostly right. Most families will be mapped okay, but that does not mean there were not significant errors.

Because of the deficiency of the process, the only way you could know about the errors would be to manually inspect the output of each mapped family compared to the ward roster to find 1) families on the roster that were not mapped at all and 2) families that were mapped in the wrong place.
Post Reply

Return to “Other Member Technologies”