Can I have my son’s baptism out of state

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mcwroses

Can I have my son’s baptism out of state

Post by mcwroses »

I am wondering if I can have my son’s baptism out of state. We live in Texas and I would like to do it in Utah with my family present.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Can I have my son’s baptism out of state

Post by scgallafent »

This question should be directed to your bishop. Contact him.
mcwroses

Post by mcwroses »

Is there a church policy that says we can or cannot do this? Past forums have said that we can do this. I cannot find an official church policy for this in the Handbook.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mcwroses wrote:Is there a church policy that says we can or cannot do this? Past forums have said that we can do this. I cannot find an official church policy for this in the Handbook.
As mentioned by scgallafent you need to speak with the bishop. He holds the necessary priesthood keys for performing the ordinance of baptism for 8-year-old children who are members of record in your ward. He would also be able to help you work with the mission president, who holds the priesthood keys of baptism for converts.

The information you are looking for in the General Handbook has not been completed yet. But if the procedures outlined in the superseded Handbook 1 make it into the new General Handbook then you still need to speak with your bishop. There are necessary conditions and a form that needs to be filled out that is available in Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bottom line, you can't just show up in Utah and expect to be able to have him baptized when the membership record is back in Texas. There has to be some kind of coordination between the two wards. Furthermore, the bishop has to interview the child. That's why the starting point is to talk to your bishop.

As to your question, I don't see anything either way about doing baptisms in another ward. Since there's nothing to indicate it's possible, I wouldn't be surprised if some ward leadership interprets the current Handbook as saying it's not possible.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

We have had blessings, baptisms, and MP ordinations take place outside the ward, but they all started with the bishop. They all required a form and witnesses.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
BrookeMarturello

Post by BrookeMarturello »

With the newest Baptismal guidelines encouraging family involvement in the baptismal ordinance, is there a clearer answer to this question?

As long as the process begins in the ward of record, the interview is completed, the bishops of both wards are in communication, and forms are filled out correctly, is there anything DOCTRINAL that would make baptizing an 8yr old child out of state impossible?

I cannot find anything in the handbook. It all looks completely doable if the process is done correctly.

Thank you for your time.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

The decision makers will be those who possess the keys to do the ordinances. If the key-holders are all in agreement with the arrangements and everything has been communicated, that's what matters.

Return to “General Discussions”