Changing Temple Recommend Issue Date

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
ajdriggs

Changing Temple Recommend Issue Date

Post by ajdriggs »

We had a bishopric who conducted temple recommend interviews at the end of May but circled June for the Month Issued date. As I received these the night of their SP interviews, I went to activate these recommends and obviously it would not allow me to select June as the issue month. I entered them as May so they could be activated, but decided to hold onto them for a few days until June 1st so I could update the Issued Month to June. It will still not allow me the option of selecting June, as it only list the months through May. I am wondering how to fix this issue. I am worried that come the end of May 2022, their recommend will expire in the system, but the member may think their recommend is good until the end of June 2022. Thanks for the help.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Changing Temple Recommend Issue Date

Post by scgallafent »

I would have to ask one of the people on the temple team to be sure, but it's possible that they logged an initial activation date in May so the system isn't going to let you change the recommend active date to be after the date you initially activated it. You need to correct the recommend.
gbates

Re: Changing Temple Recommend Issue Date

Post by gbates »

I assume a bishopric member (or a branch president) is not allowed to post-date a recommend even by only a few hours or days. But I don't have access to a recommend book to read its specific instructions, and he might simply have circled the wrong month by mistake.

So in our stake, when members bring in recommends that say they were issued in a future month, we activate such recommends for the current month (just as you had to do), and ask those members to correct the expiration months on their recommends so in two years they will know when their recommends expire.

I assume, as scgallafent said, that you can't change the recommend expiration date after you have activated it unless you call the Global Service Center to do it for you (with proper authorization and an explanation for why you need to do it, of course).

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”