Unable to log in to church website - workaround

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mevans

Unable to log in to church website - workaround

Post by mevans »

Sometime between when I logged in on Sunday and when I logged in today, the church changed the authentication to its website and it's not working for me (it was a rare day that I didn't log in yesterday).

Login now goes through Okta. When I tried logging in, I was redirected to pages at Okta. Then I tried clearing all browser data. The system still didn't let me log in, but I wasn't redirected to the Okta website (the URL still had id.ChurchOfJesusChrist.org, but the page was from Okta). Now when I try logging in, it said it needed a password, even though there is one filled in. Then it just hung and I couldn't do more from the page.

Workaround
I tried different pages that have me log in. I finally found that if I highlight a scripture, the menu pops up and asks me to log in. That login process went to the old authentication system and I was able to log in.
eblood66

Re: Unable to log in to church website - workaround

Post by eblood66 »

Having the same problem here. You're workaround worked for me too but hopefully they get things fixed up soon because that's rather inconvenient.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I cleared all the cookies associated with "lds.org" and "churchofjesuschrist.org". Then the new system worked. That's how I got in.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Maximumoverheat

Post by Maximumoverheat »

I never loaded my membership id so how can I get it
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Maximumoverheat wrote:I never loaded my membership id so how can I get it
Talk to your ward clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:I cleared all the cookies associated with "lds.org" and "churchofjesuschrist.org". Then the new system worked. That's how I got in.
I cleared all browser data from the beginning of time and it didn't work for me. So far, I've only tried it on Chrome on a Mac.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I cleared all browser data from the beginning of time and it didn't work for me. So far, I've only tried it on Chrome on a Mac.
I'm not sure if clearing the cache will take care of the cookies in question.

abadjw

Post by abadjw »

Same here. We use Okta at work (State Gov) and sorry but it's the worst. I was able to log in also via bypassing it and used my current id and pw bypassing okta. Now I can do my ward duties (clerk). Thanks for the post. Your solution worked for me also.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:I'm not sure if clearing the cache will take care of the cookies in question.
Yes, cookies are on the list of what is cleared.

New Workaround
Chrome on a Mac still doesn't work properly for me. Today I tried logging in via Opera on a Mac and it worked fine with the new authentication.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I submitted feedback on this when I encountered the problem. I head back today and they sent me to the Church Account FAQs, which isn't helpful. I replied back that this is a more general problem that impacts more than one person and is due to a recent technical change. I suspect that there are several people who just can't log in and, therefore, can't even get to the forums to read these messages. If you're someone who had problems and managed to get in, I suggest you also submit Feedback about the problems you encountered. They might need more reports of problems to escalate this to technical people who can investigate the problems.

Return to “Main Church Website”