Limit to size of notes displayed?

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jasonhyer

Limit to size of notes displayed?

Post by jasonhyer »

I was studying this morning on my computer and ended up writing a lengthy note related to my study. I checked to see how that note displayed on my tablet and it only showed about a third of the note without the ability to scroll down and see the rest.

1st, is there a limit to how long a note can be or will be displayed in the Android app?
2nd, if I display and make a modification to the note where I can't see it all, will it sync just the portion of the note showing in the Android app and delete the unseen portion that I can see on the web?

Need to understand this so I can adjust how I write notes going forward.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Limit to size of notes displayed?

Post by jdlessley »

If you don't get answers to your questions here you could try using the in-app feedback to ask the development team these questions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Limit to size of notes displayed?

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library for Android and iOS support 500,000 characters in the body of a note (HTML code used for formatting, for example if you make a word bold, is considered part of the 500,000). The annotation sync service that syncs notes between devices supports this same number of characters. When creating a note in Android or iOS, if it's too long, it shouldn't allow you to save the note, and it will pop up a warning message, then allow you to edit the note to make it shorter. Android and iOS should display the full note wherever the note is visible (Notes section, sidebar, note editor).

Gospel Library for Windows and Gospel Library Online should support the same, but it's possible there's a bug. If I had to guess, I would guess that Gospel Library Online isn't handling long notes very well; OR it's allowing pasting of unmodified HTML from outside sources that may cause issues (if your note has copy/pasted content).

When you edit a note or its attachments (note title, tags, links, or highlight) on any platform, the previous version of the annotation will be overwritten. So, if only part of the note is displaying, the part that's not displaying will likely be gone after changes are saved. Is the part that's not displaying on Android still visible online? It's possible that only part of the note saved and synced when it was initially created.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”