Sacrament Meeting

Discussions around receiving conferences and broadcasts for the meetinghouse via Internet.
drepouille

Re: Sacrament Meeting

Post by drepouille »

OK, I have tested using my cell phone ear buds, and have proven that my laptop can use a four-connector headset plug for audio input and output.

Now I have to find an adapter to connect the three-connector "Record Out" plug to the four-connector jack on my laptop.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I think it would be easier and less obvious if I set up my camera and laptop on the pew behind the deacons' bench.
OK, I thought this was a "broadcast only" not a mixed live/webcast situation.

Since this is a zoom meeting, We're either talking about the built-in camera for a laptop or a webcam. Not the usual church webcast setup. Most webcams don't have any zoom, so you're probably going to want it fairly close to the speaker. The other issue is the angle. Funny thing about tv, what's fine "in person" looks weird on a screen. If it's too low, it's going to look odd.
drepouille wrote:I need to connect the 3.5 mm stereo "Record Out" signal (located under the Sacrament table) to a laptop. My Dell Inspiron 5770 has a "headset" jack, but I don't know how many connectors the jack has. I don't know if it can be used for both input and output of audio signals. I suppose I can test it using my cell phone ear buds, which have a four-connector plug to provide both input and output audio.
You'll have to find/build an adapter. The mic-in tends to be the two connections farthest from the tip, with ground being toward the tip.

The problem is I don't know if the audio out is line or mic level. If it's line level, you'll need an attenuator as well.

However, at this point, I think the built-in mic will do fine - at least for a first round. I'd focus more on understanding zoom to set up the meeting correctly. That is, making sure no one else can talk. Just because you can put them on mute doesn't mean they can't unmute themselves.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:The mic-in tends to be the two connections farthest from the tip, with ground being toward the tip.
See if you can find a 3.5mm to stereo & video cable (white, red, yellow RCA connectors). It looks like the "video" connection is same as "mic". That will give you a starting point without having to break out a soldering iron.

Sometimes thrift stores can be a source of cheap cables.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

This will work nicely. A TRRS Y Splitter Cable Adapter.
s-l640.jpg
(20.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

When is your first meeting? You've got maybe one business day before this Sunday.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:Most webcams don't have any zoom, so you're probably going to want it fairly close to the speaker.
Browsing Staples and Amazon, I see what you mean. All the webcams have auto-focus, but very few have any zoom function. Optical zoom is more expensive than digital zoom. So I believe you are correct that if I don't want to buy a $600 camera, I will need to sit close to front and center. Luckily, the front center pew is more narrow than the second pew, so there is a natural place to set up on the end of the front pew.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Since most major outlets are out of stock, and all new webcams ship from China, I decided to buy on eBay.
Logitech C922 PRO HD Webcam with tripod.

The tripod gives me the option of placing the webcam directly on the podium. That may help with the audio and video capture.

Although I would prefer to capture sound directly from the sound system, I will try using the webcam's built-in stereo microphones. If the ambient noise severely impacts the sound, I will run a sound cable at a later date.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like a plan. How long is the USB cable? I'm thinking 3'. You might want a USB extension. But the laptop is still going to be real close by.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:Sounds like a plan. How long is the USB cable? I'm thinking 3'. You might want a USB extension. But the laptop is still going to be real close by.
I have some USB extension cables, but I wonder if the video signals would be degraded by using extensions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I have some USB extension cables, but I wonder if the video signals would be degraded by using extensions.
At that point, it's digital, not video. As long as the extensions are rated for the same speed/verson as the USB connection, I'd think it would work fine. USB 1 - good luck. USB 2 - check what the camera needs. USB 3 - good to go.

Something to considering is leaving the computer close to the podium and remoting into it from another machine. That way you can leave all the equipment at the podium but control it from a discrete distance. However, depending on what technology is used to display the video, that part may not remote.

Return to “Receiving Internet Broadcasts”