Protecting Children and Youth Training Status for those without youth callings

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
BrianEdwards

Re: Protecting Children and Youth Training Status for those without youth callings

Postby BrianEdwards » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Your priesthood leaders are responsible for interpreting the handbook if there are questions. We can all give your opinions on the forum, but that is all they are.

I actually am a Priesthood leader directly responsible for interpreting the handbook :D And I've been asked this question for my interpretation, and I've asked my leader for his interpretation. I'm at the point where I must do what all Church leaders do in the end, look for the Spirit to inspire me specifically. But one good thing about this forum is that many forum members are a bit more "plugged in" to ongoing updates, as opposed to some local leaders that are so swamped with life, that they often don't keep track of all the various new things that come across their email desks.

So I welcome everyone's opinion, whether that's where to look in in the Handbook or online, as well as personal ideas. Gives me more to consider, as I decide what is appropriate for our local unit.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Protecting Children and Youth Training Status for those without youth callings

Postby lajackson » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:03 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:So I welcome everyone's opinion, whether that's where to look in in the Handbook or online, as well as personal ideas. Gives me more to consider, as I decide what is appropriate for our local unit.

Your state has mandatory reporting laws (I think they all do), but I am not able to find anything online that requires state-mandated training for those who work with youth (a few states do). And if that is true, you are probably just fine working with the Handbook guidelines.

I think if I found that someone was regularly substituting, I would ask them to take the Church training. If someone only substituted once or twice a year, or was only in the classroom occasionally to be a second adult leader, I would not worry about it, although it would not hurt for anyone who ever teaches children and youth to take the training.

If you are the presiding Handbook interpreter, you will know who is not allowed to work with children and youth, and you would quietly let organization leaders know not to ask them to substitute. Or more likely, you would approve substitutes in advance as requested by organization leaders, and they would ask you if a member had not yet specifically been approved to sub.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”