Windows Local Accounts not available

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Windows Local Accounts not available

Post by drepouille »

I was very surprised when I tried to login to the Clerk computer today. The only Windows accounts available for login were Clerk and Other User. I had previously created (and used) three Windows local accounts: Repouille (Admin), Stake (Admin), and Other (Standard user). But none of those are available for login purposes. When I login as Clerk (Admin account), I can see all the accounts I had created under "Family & other users". I just can't use them to login.

As a workaround, I used the Clerk account to add my usual Microsoft account to the PC. The first time I attempted to login to my Microsoft account, the display went blank, and the PC refused to wake up. (Similar to what happens when a new display driver is installed.) So I waited 10 or 15 minutes, then pressed the power button, which caused an orderly shutdown. After the next boot, I was able to login to my Microsoft account.

Strange things are afoot!
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
grahamhe

Re: Windows Local Accounts not available

Post by grahamhe »

We have had the same issue with the Microsoft account and local accounts.
The local accounts are still there but for some reason need to be accessed using the ".\username" option. (this will log you into the local accounts)

This has taken us by surprise as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:When I login as Clerk (Admin account), I can see all the accounts I had created under "Family & other users". I just can't use them to login.
That would suggest they've been deactivated. I'd suggest using Computer Management to check the user accounts rather than the feature limited function in control panel.

grahamhe wrote:The local accounts are still there but for some reason need to be accessed using the ".\username" option. (this will log you into the local accounts)
It sounds like the computers have been added to a domain. The ".\" forces the computer to look for a local account. If you leave it out, it will default to looking in the domain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just ran compmgmt.msc on my personal laptop. Computer Management does not appear to list any user account controls. Perhaps my Windows 10 Home doesn't allow that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Perhaps my Windows 10 Home doesn't allow that.
It doesn't on "Home" machine either. But it will be there on "Pro" and above - which includes church machines.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
grahamhe

Post by grahamhe »

If you look under "Access work or school" make sure that there is not a connection to the church AD in there.
There was one on my clerk computer. once removed the system was back to normal with all the local accounts available
Work or school account.PNG
Work or school account.PNG (6.18 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you disconnect, will it reconnect?

I just set up a new computer for a ward. It used to behave normally, but then I made a minor change to local groups policy and after a reboot, it suddenly required me to all .\ to the user name. I did verify it wasn't part of a domain.

dnslynn

Post by dnslynn »

Any ideas as to how the computer(s) got connected to the Church AD? I just had a clerk computer do the same thing and the clerk can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary. I'm assuming that clerk computers shouldn't normally be connected to the Church AD.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm thinking it had to be something pushed down by IBM "Big Fix".

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

drepouille wrote:As a workaround, I used the Clerk account to add my usual Microsoft account to the PC.
Tonight I checked the ward computer, and the only account available on the Windows login screen is my Microsoft account. The Clerk account no longer appears. A "net user" command shows all the local accounts, which no longer appear on the login screen.

I called the GSC, but they have never heard of this happening, and offered no solution. He kept asking me if the DandC89 account was there -- it no longer exists on the computer. So the only remaining back door into the computer is my Microsoft account.

I did a Google search, and was able to find a couple promising solutions, but that will have to wait for another day.

Return to “Clerk Computers”