Sharing our experience with Virtual Sacrament Meeting Broadcasts

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
mrbitsch

Re: Sharing our experience with Virtual Sacrament Meeting Broadcasts

Post by mrbitsch »

mashcraft wrote:I've run into a problem with the Amcrest camera you recommended. It doesn't show support for h264. Did I get the wrong one or is something else wrong?
The Amcrest shows up as 2 different video devices, the h264 encoded stream shows up on the second interface for some reason, try ffmpeg -list_formats all -i /dev/video1
snihipali99

Post by snihipali99 »

Been testing this week using OBS with a webcam and connecting to the chapel audio via the record out 3.5mm outlet via the Church webcast system. Everything seems to ok, the only thing with the audio is that when no one is speaking there is a noticeable static noise. When someone speaks into the microphone the sound appears to be clear. Is there a way to reduce the static noise? Would going through a mixer help? Or turn down the db within OBS? Thanks for any suggestions
mrbitsch

Post by mrbitsch »

snihipali99 wrote:Been testing this week using OBS with a webcam and connecting to the chapel audio via the record out 3.5mm outlet via the Church webcast system. Everything seems to ok, the only thing with the audio is that when no one is speaking there is a noticeable static noise. When someone speaks into the microphone the sound appears to be clear. Is there a way to reduce the static noise? Would going through a mixer help? Or turn down the db within OBS? Thanks for any suggestions
I've noticed a very slight amount of static on our system, but I've had to really turn up the volume on the device receiving the broadcast to notice it. Since you're using OBS you might want to try this https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... ilter.423/
sjf2626

Post by sjf2626 »

dbaresrc wrote:
mashcraft wrote:@dbaresrc,

I am also too new to the forum to pm you. Could you please send me the link? Thanks!

Mike

Sent. I hope it helps.

Carlton

Can you send me the documentation as well? I'd love to try it out in our stake and see if we can get it to work. Thanks!
snihipali99

Post by snihipali99 »

mrbitsch wrote: I've noticed a very slight amount of static on our system, but I've had to really turn up the volume on the device receiving the broadcast to notice it. Since you're using OBS you might want to try this https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... ilter.423/
Thanks these filters do help and are come included in the latest version of OBS, just needed to add them. Do you or anyone know if I use OBS does the High Bandwidth Encode option need to be enabled? Or is that only needed for Zoom?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

snihipali99 wrote:Do you or anyone know if I use OBS does the High Bandwidth Encode option need to be enabled? Or is that only needed for Zoom?
Just Zoom. You can't control the bandwidth and it's quite high.

OBS I believe is adjustable. High bandwidth doesn't necessarily translate to a better webcast as the downstream seems pretty heavily compressed. Watch the pre-roll with the Tabernacle Choir and you'll see what I mean.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Maelikai

Post by Maelikai »

In our Branch, we don't have any church broadcast equipment. Would a FIR request be appropriate to getting a camera, computer, and audio out setup (any vurtual broadcasting solution)? Are wards taking web camera purchases out of their budgets? We have't had STS direction, just told to do it.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Maelikai wrote:In our Branch, we don't have any church broadcast equipment. Would a FIR request be appropriate to getting a camera, computer, and audio out setup (any vurtual broadcasting solution)? Are wards taking web camera purchases out of their budgets? We have't had STS direction, just told to do it.
Lots of inexpensive solutions. I would start with the information at the following topic and go from there:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37573
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Maelikai wrote:Would a FIR request be appropriate to getting a camera, computer, and audio out setup (any vurtual broadcasting solution)?
Adding an audio out would be a legitimate request. But FM isn't going to supply the equipment for webcasting.

You can get by with just a cell phone or a laptop with a webcam. I think a number of wards are just using member equipment for the time being.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

There's at least one unit using a simple "member equipment" approach! As I've stated elsewhere, while I appreciate techies (at least to me you guys are all techies) who understand the ins-and-outs of audio/visual stuff, we have a sufficient implementation which works for us: using Zoom on a cellphone which is placed in a small tripod on the podium. The virtual attendees say that the picture and sound comes through fine for them. We use Zoom settings to simulate a streaming (non-interactive) sacrament meeting broadcast. Our particular Stake hasn't been involved in implementing any solution for us, they've really farmed it out to each local unit to figure out. As our leaders and members are familiar now with Zoom, it's good enough for us.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”