Wired Lavalier mic

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
drepouille

Wired Lavalier mic

Post by drepouille »

I bought this wired Lavalier mic with a 16-foot cable, because some members thought the Logitech C922 webcam mic captured too much ambient noise.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DPQJQ2L

The cable terminates in a male TRRS connector. And it comes with a female-TRRS-to-male-TRS adapter.

Since my Dell Inspiron 5770 has a TRRS combo jack, I assumed I should plug the TRRS cable end into the TRRS jack. Nope! That doesn't work! I have to use the TRRS-to-TRS adapter to connect the TRRS cable end to the TRRS combo jack on my laptop. It works perfectly.

Really?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Wired Lavalier mic

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Since my Dell Inspiron 5770 has a TRRS combo jack, I assumed I should plug the TRRS cable end into the TRRS jack. Nope! That doesn't work! I have to use the TRRS-to-TRS adapter to connect the TRRS cable end to the TRRS combo jack on my laptop. It works perfectly.
Since your laptop asks you what you've plugged into it, if you're using a TRRS plug, you have to tell it that it's a "headset". If you tell it it's a microphone, then you'd have to use the TRS adapter. If it's not asking, then it may be making a bad assumption because there's no earbuds on the TRRS and it's mis-identifying the mode.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yes, I am probably an idiot. See my comments on the Y-cable headset splitter.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I am probably an idiot.
Fortunately for the rest of us, there is no real way to validate that statement. [grin]
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:
drepouille wrote:Since my Dell Inspiron 5770 has a TRRS combo jack, I assumed I should plug the TRRS cable end into the TRRS jack. Nope! That doesn't work! I have to use the TRRS-to-TRS adapter to connect the TRRS cable end to the TRRS combo jack on my laptop. It works perfectly.
Since your laptop asks you what you've plugged into it, if you're using a TRRS plug, you have to tell it that it's a "headset". If you tell it it's a microphone, then you'd have to use the TRS adapter. If it's not asking, then it may be making a bad assumption because there's no earbuds on the TRRS and it's mis-identifying the mode.
I've been playing around with the wired mic, the Y-cable headset splitter, and my earbuds. If I plug the wired mic's TRRS directly into the laptop's TRRS port, and choose headset on the pop-up, it works. If I connect the wired mic into the TRRS-to-TRS adapter, and then into the laptop, and choose Mic in, it works. If I connect the wired mic into the TRRS-to-TRS adapter, and then into the headset splitter's mic jack, and connect my earbuds to the headset splitter's headphone jack, and then plug the headset splitter into the laptop's TRRS port, and choose headset with earbuds, it works.

I've been able to confirm that everything works by opening the Windows "Sound" dialog, which has four tabs: Playback, Recording, Sounds, and Communications. I click on the Recording tab, open the microphone properties, click the Listen tab, check the "Listen to this device" checkbox, and set the "Playback through this device" to my earbuds (or something that won't cause too much feedback during the test). This allows me to confirm that the mic input is actually getting through the system to the output.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thank you very much!
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”