Church Email System gliches

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
joej

Church Email System gliches

Post by joej »

My wife has been asked to send a weekly email out to the ward user the email tool on TheChurchofJesusChrist.org's leadership resources website. There has always been one member that didn't get the emails. But, now there are several members that are no longer getting her emails, emails from the bishop, or emails from the stake.

Each member is on the email distribution list. They just don't get the email. We have checked junk/spam email folders. It is on private email accounts, as well as a few gmail accounts and a live account.

Is there a setting that has changed on a member's account?

Any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thanks!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church Email System gliches

Post by russellhltn »

What email domain is your wife's email? I noticed you seem to have a vanity domain. That may not play well with some filters. Especially if you don't have things like DMARC properly setup on your domain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joej

Post by joej »

She is using a yahoo email address. When she uses the church email, it doesn’t actually go through her personal email, right?
joej

Post by joej »

When I was emailing the ward in a prior calling, I never had a problem with he email going through. That was just over a year ago.

I don’t think the personal settings have anything to do with it. But could it be anything to do with stake or ward privacy settings?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joej wrote:She is using a yahoo email address. When she uses the church email, it doesn’t actually go through her personal email, right?
While it's sent by the church, the sender's email is part of the header. It used to be the church "forged" the senders email address as the "from" and some ISPs caught that and treated it as "definitely spam" and discarded it immediately.

Yahoo/AOL has some pretty strict settings. I'm not sure if they can affect the current system. Now the header is either "reply to" sender or "in behalf of" sender. It's "from" the church.

Where you could run into issues is if too many recipients mark it as spam to avoid getting it. However, I'd expect it to be in the spam folder.
joej wrote:I don’t think the personal settings have anything to do with it. But could it be anything to do with stake or ward privacy settings?
I don't see how it would be involved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joej

Post by joej »

To clarify...

It’s the same people each week that don’t get the email.

Other stake/ward correspondence from the bishop and stake clerk are also not received by the same recipient.

The list of people not getting the emails appears to be growing. A few months ago it was one, now it is up to 5-6.

It looks like some families have changed their settings to be private. Does that keep the church emailer system email from going through?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joej wrote:It looks like some families have changed their settings to be private. Does that keep the church emailer system email from going through?
It shouldn't. The most restrictive setting is "Leadership only" and Send a message is only available to leadership.

Anything in common between them? Such as the email domain? The email forwarding system used by BYU alumni is a known problem.

Return to “General Discussions”