Managed switches

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Managed switches

Post by russellhltn »

mitchrichie wrote:mht? Sorry not sure who that is haha.
Assuming you're the STS, you'd have received an email from them alerting you to the plans and shipment. That's when you'd point out your needs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mitchrichie wrote:I see that we are supposed to connect all of the building access points directly to the new managed switch. ...
Meetinghouse Technology (mht) conducted some training recently. In that training, they suggested that they were willing to send additional switches rather than going through the expense of rewiring the meetinghouse. Although rewiring might be less expensive that a bunch of managed switches.

The goal is eventually to replace all unmanaged switches in meetinghouses. The budget right now only allows for one or two to get the APs onto managed switches. But the way they described the switches, it sounded as if they did not want more than two managed switches daisy chained on the same path. As russellhltn said, your best bet is to contact mht for guidance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But the way they described the switches, it sounded as if they did not want more than two managed switches daisy chained on the same path.
True, but that doesn't limit you to just two switches. Switches after the second one would be connected to a regular port set to "Link".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Installing the last of the switches, I've run into a discrepancy between the instructions and TM. The instructions say to put full-time employees in the "Workforce zone". But there's no such choice in TM. I've tried contacting MHT, but the responses didn't make sense.

Anyone else run into this?

nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

russellhltn wrote:Installing the last of the switches, I've run into a discrepancy between the instructions and TM. The instructions say to put full-time employees in the "Workforce zone". But there's no such choice in TM. I've tried contacting MHT, but the responses didn't make sense.

Anyone else run into this?
If there are church employees that would use this network, a Workforce zone can be added to the network by the GSD, much like a Special Purpose zone. Once added, ports on the switch can then be designated as Workforce and employee equipment connected to that port.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nmecantwin73 wrote:If there are church employees that would use this network, a Workforce zone can be added to the network by the GSD, much like a Special Purpose zone.
Thanks! Now I know what I'm asking for.

Let's hope my 4th try contacting GSD works. Based on my experience in the last two days, it's taken a drop in quality

sdespain

Post by sdespain »

So quick question.. We have a building where we have a Access Point under the podium in the chapel. On the managed switch, we have set that port to Access Point. At times, we do use that cable at the podium lets say for Sacrament Broadcasts, so we would unplug the Access Point and plug in a computer to do the broadcast. Will this work with the switch still configured for Access point? or would we need to change it to Public?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sdespain wrote:So quick question.. We have a building where we have a Access Point under the podium in the chapel. On the managed switch, we have set that port to Access Point. At times, we do use that cable at the podium lets say for Sacrament Broadcasts, so we would unplug the Access Point and plug in a computer to do the broadcast. Will this work with the switch still configured for Access point? or would we need to change it to Public?
I'm not sure what the difference is, but you probably should change it to public.

You might want to talk to FM about installing an Access Point so you don't have to do that.

jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

We were upgraded this week and lots of things stopped working. From the instructions I saw every AP is supposed to be directly connected to the switch... We have a few unmanaged switches with POE injectors in our building because that is how "someone" wired it to get the number of AP's needed. They also took the unmanaged facility switch and created a loop between it and the new switch because they didn't pay attention to what cable was doing what... It was also my understanding that the facility switch was to be powered down... I work on Meraki networks all the time and so I know the capabilities of these devices and the native dashboard. I was impressed at what I found presented via TM and quickly changed VLAN's swapped and labeled Voice Port to make it a Data Port and got everything wired correctly... (I mean my way... LOL) If anyone knows who to provide feedback to on TM enhancements I think that a feature to help identify issues around unmanaged switches would be to add how many devices are sending data through a single port. If someone noticed that 5 devices were behind a port not labeled as a "wap" it would hopefully help the installers to identify where they may need to walk around the building to learn about current config before they create loops and bring wi-fi etc to its knees... (especially during tithing settlement when the meetinghouse is getting used nearly every day for zoom and network printing)

I think attribute "client count" from (https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/ ... t-statuses) should do the trick.
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

russellhltn wrote:
sdespain wrote:So quick question.. We have a building where we have a Access Point under the podium in the chapel. On the managed switch, we have set that port to Access Point. At times, we do use that cable at the podium lets say for Sacrament Broadcasts, so we would unplug the Access Point and plug in a computer to do the broadcast. Will this work with the switch still configured for Access point? or would we need to change it to Public?
I'm not sure what the difference is, but you probably should change it to public.

You might want to talk to FM about installing an Access Point so you don't have to do that.

From my experience this week it appears the difference is in the subnet you get. So if the device plugged in at the podium needs to so other network devices you would need to change it to public, if not it "should" work.. I assume part of the programming on the back end would change it from a trunk to an access port and maybe a few other settings but nothing too "drastic"

however... The church thinks globally... I think locally... So there might be a lot more to it.

also... I can't find one of my access points.. Guess I need to take my sniffer to church so I can play hot and cold with signal strength.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”